Buffer zones for logging

MattBoyer

MattBoyer

Are logging companies required to do anything to ensure runoff is minimized on their job sites? We were driving down Clarks Valley on Saturday in the rain, and the logging site near the headwaters was just pouring silty water into two little tribs so badly that they looked glacial. These little tribs empty directly onto one of the main spawning areas on this creek. Maybe I'm overreacting, but it looked like there was no way it could be good.

Boyer

Call and report it to DER and PFBC. They probably are permitted, but maybe their barriers aren't working. The call can't hurt.

Yes please call! And check www.DFTU.org for the phone numbers/emails of the current officers and stream steward for Clarks Creek. They will want to know also.

Logging companies are required to control sediment, and have been doing so rather well in Clarks and Stony Valleys... at least as far as I always heard and saw. But my information is a couple years old. Even careful companies with good track records can have a problem.

Yeah, let me know what you find.

I was with Boyer, and it looked horrendous. Further downstream, there was another channel of disgusting water pouring into one of the first few pools of the project water. The stream was bordering on unfishable below the entry point.

Not sure if that was logging related as well, but it can't be good.

I spoke to Al Loskowski, DFTU's stream steward, today for the first time in like 20 years and he gave me the local WCO's cell, with whom I left a message. I'll keep you all posted as to the outcome.

Boyer

Spoke to the WCO today and he asked me for specifics and will be checking on their site in the morning. I'll update if I find out anything more.

Boyer

MattBoyer wrote:
Spoke to the WCO today and he asked me for specifics and will be checking on their site in the morning. I'll update if I find out anything more.

Boyer

Way to go. Most people wouldn't make the phone call. I congratulate you for doing so. It can't hurt and it may help!

Much of the time anglers are the only ones who are both:
1) out there
2) care about the streams

Matt,
Thanks.

Back