Big Hunting Creek in Maryland

A few remarks in no particular order:

Most of the flow is from Cunningham lake tailwater. The lake in some years runs low on cold water in Summer, hence the usefulness of the temperature gage.

My best luck has been in Spring in better flows, the same as just about every wild brown stream. It has early black stones and the trout work them.

Knee deep in the Smoot pool would indeed be quite low flow.

Wild brown coloration is the best MD has to offer, even better than the Savage.

I've had a lot of luck on this stream in past years. And despite the car noise it's still a pretty stretch of water. Last couple of times I've fished it, though, water levels have just seemed really low to me. I walked a stretch of it today (from the Cat Rock parking lot upstream to the visitor center) and I didn't really see any deep pools. Even the "Frank Smoot" pool didn't look any deeper than knee-level. In past years, I seem to remember I couldn't see bottom there. And I seem to remember a lot of deep pocket water. I did some searching around and found this thread and wanted to ask you guys who know it better. Am I just remembering it wrong? Is this just how it always is in the winter?
No, you’re remembering correctly, the Smoot pool in the past was deeper than it is today. There’s been a number of flooding events that have rearranged some of the pools.

Not sure how long ago it started, or where the effort is now, but the upper BHC above the falls is a brown trout removal project attempting to bolster the brook trout population. I can't find the document explaining the details.

Not sure how long ago it started, or where the effort is now, but the upper BHC above the falls is a brown trout removal project attempting to bolster the brook trout population. I can't find the document explaining the details.
The final results are not yet published to my knowledge

I've actually never caught a brown above the falls, only brookies.

I've actually never caught a brown above the falls, only brookies.
I fished it once about 5 years ago and caught 2 of each.

Yup it’s true, won’t show the document here because it reveals a bit too much info, but it’s an easy search. It’s good to see theyre protecting native trout resources. The issue though is that upper BHC warms a lot more than lower because it isn’t tailwater. There are videos on the internet of some nice 8+ inch brookies from upper BHC so that’s good

Wrapped up a successful Dry January with a celebratory afternoon on BHC with some wild invasives.

70DCC3E6 CBDC 4BDD AA7C 4F3B6FD38ADD

Attachments

• BD0792E2-EFB4-494B-A2B6-8D55EA97D351.jpeg
    BD0792E2-EFB4-494B-A2B6-8D55EA97D351.jpeg
    186.4 KB · Views: 47
  • 3618801C-6A0C-469D-AC9B-3579D45E7966.jpeg
    3618801C-6A0C-469D-AC9B-3579D45E7966.jpeg
    90 KB · Views: 46
Back