Are they worth it?

matthoops

matthoops

I currently have an 8'6" 5wt. Black Diamond rod that I use for all of my fly-fishing expeditions. I worked all summer and saved up around $500 to buy some new gear, but I don't know what to get. I was thinking about getting a 4+ piece 3wt (7'-7'6"). for hiking to those small (really small) mountain streams. Also, I want to get a rod for bigger water like the Yough, Juniata, and Clarion, maybe a 7wt. or 8wt. I'd be using it for bass and trout.

Are these rods worth looking in to?

Certainly...any new fly fishing equipment is always worth it. I'm sure you could get one real nice set up for that, or two good set ups as well. Is there one option that you really prefer?
It is nice to have a small pack rod if you are doing any amount of walking...and the 5 wt certainly will handle most situations on the big water you mentioned.
But you should try steelheading too, in which case you would want a 7 or 8.
If you had good 3, 5, and 7/8 wt rods, you will certainly be covering just about every fishing opportunity in the state.

Good luck

Think of new rods as if they were different tools. Right now you have a 8"6" 5wt, which is like a good adjustable crescent wrench. Now what else do you need to add to your toolbox? It depends what you will be doing. Something light like 2 or 3wt for small stream trout, or will be more likely to be steelheading with an 8wt? Kind of like deciding whether you would be better off with a 3/8" crecent wrench or a 1". Whatever you get, your third rod can be the other one

I'm thinking you're looking too heavy with a 7 or 8 wt unless you are looking at steelhead and such. A 6 wt will cover trout and lake fish. I'm not into 3 weights they are OK if you want to play your fish. I like getting them to the net. Your 5 wt isn't total overkill for small trout but if it is a 2 piece I'd go for a 4 piece 4 weight. A nice 4 wt 4 piece can fish trout to smallmouth on the river.

Have fun shopping!

I think 7wt is over kill for the Clarion, Yough and J. For PA I think a 4wt and 6wt will do the job. Unless you fish for steel alot.

Not for me but there are lots of deals on EBay.

You could also look at demo rods at Fly Shops for sale. I saw a nice practically new SAGE SLT last week for $300 without a mark on it- more than you wanted but it is just an example. (plus I think you can negotiate that down) Same goes for reels.

For me, if I had one rod to choose it would be a 9' 5wt. But I do not fish the small streams.

Go PITT!

E-Bay is a great place for buying rods. I got my last three rods through E-Bay. Patience though, you won't find a deal on your first time!

There are some GREAT prices on the Albright site. You can buy direct for 50% off everything they make. Their rods have done well in field tests, and the ones I cast were pretty nice. Even their top of the line rods come out to like $125 including shipping.

http://www.albrighttackle.com/index.html :cool:

I think you're on the right track. Get a small, multi-piece, brookie pack rod and a big gun for large rivers and bass fishing. While I prefer a 7WT for smallies, an 8WT might be a better overall choice. I use 8WTs a good bit for smallies and they allow you to throw big bugs in the wind. They'll also cover for carp, largemouths in weeds, pike, steelhead, and even light saltwater if you find yourself at the beach or Florida/Bahamas. These games are a bit much for the 7WT. It's usually better to have a rod size too big than a size too small.

Unless you want to throw down a big wad of cash on your rod, I would definitly look into the st. croix avid rods. I have a 7' 3wt. and couldn't be happier with it. It is only two pieces though.

My $.02.

I prefer a 5 wt or even a 6 wt for the little brookie streams. Short rods in that weight can be tough to find. But a tight loop is often necessary in heavier brush, the ability to punch some line with just a little flip is very important, and I'm rarely throwing tiny flies or worried about being delicate. Length depends on how tight and where the brush is on your streams. If its all low brush, a longer rod can actually be nice to lift everything above it. If its woodsy with overhanging branches, like hemlocks, then a shorter rod's the way to go. If its really tight, and you do an awful lot of bow and arrow, then longer again comes into favor. I'm not huge on the multipiece either, I carry the rod in, usually along logging roads or in open woods, but if you're backpacking a lot, I can see the need. I carry a Cortland GRX 7'6" 4/5 wt, with 5 wt line. Cheap enough I don't worry about abusing it, but it gets the job done. Save the 3 wts for midging or trico fishing on medium sized streams.

As for bigger streams, there's no reason for an 8wt. A powerful 6 wt will do just fine on the streams mentioned, a 7wt might be preferable if you're adding steelhead to the mix.

Back