American Marten to be Reintroduced in Pennsylvania

Increasing native species richness is a positive move. Too often we are left lamenting the loss of cogs in our natural systems. I applaud the effort, and hope we can bring back other PA natives in the future. As was stated previously, turkey, grouse, and other native species have co-evolved with marten for millennia. Might they occasionally prey on eggs? Sure. But what other positive benefits might they add to the system that have been missing since they left?

Increasing native species richness is a positive move. Too often we are left lamenting the loss of cogs in our natural systems. I applaud the effort, and hope we can bring back other PA natives in the future. As was stated previously, turkey, grouse, and other native species have co-evolved with marten for millennia. Might they occasionally prey on eggs? Sure. But what other positive benefits might they add to the system that have been missing since they left?
I'd love to see more (any) wild quail and fewer Asian birds.

I guess it would be like adding a predator to a brook trout stream where the brook trout were already having trouble maintaining a viable population.
A.k.a the PA fish and boat method if it was invasive haha

No i get what your saying, i would be interested to know are they going to do a limited reintroduction first in one area grouse exist to see if there is a negative effect. Like an isolated small SGL or smaller state forest area where it could be studied to see if it has the feared undesirable effect to grouse there.

Came across this story map that gives a lot more info on the background of the reintroduction effort. Goes into more depth than the intro video.

Came across this story map that gives a lot more info on the background of the reintroduction effort. Goes into more depth than the intro video.
Yea looks like the grouse are not a significant part of their diet thats good to hear.
D336B306 645C 4142 8309 D2228E303B0D

Back