Your first book on fishing/flyfishing ?

wbranch wrote:
I'm pretty sure the first book I bought was "Nymphs" by Jim Quick. I still have it but the dust jacket is long gone. I'm looking to sell about two dozen FF books, many are first editions, and was wondering if anyone knew of any used FF book sellers within fifty miles of York?

Also have an extensive collection of Fly Fisherman magazines from the late 1960's to the present. Not every issue of every year but well over 150 issues. Am willing to give these away to someone who would enjoy, not sell, them. Must be picked up at my home or within fifteen miles of York.

PM sent on magazines and on the books.

I would recommend if you are not looking to sell them, a donation to the local library might work.

Also, you might want to post the book titles you are looking to sell on here. someone might be interested.

It was either Ray Bergman's "Trout" or Herters guide to Fly Fishing and Tying , in the mid to late mid 60's. From then on it's been as much as i can get my hands or eyes on from "The Complete Angler" to Geirach.

My first book was Trout Fishing, by Joe Brooks (1972). Still have it in very nice condition. I got it from the Outdoor Life book club. Remember the old "get 8 books for $1" deal?

After attempt to read maybe a dozen of books and not be able to finish one I got my hands on “Even Brook Trout Get the Blues”, since than got all of John’s Gierach books (with exception of the small volume of his poems).

As a noob to FF, I have been told that Wolf's 'Fly fishing guide to Pennsylvania" and the pocket guide to Pa hatches was well worth the investment.

I'll be buying from Amazon used soon.

skybay wrote:
After attempt to read maybe a dozen of books and not be able to finish one I got my hands on “Even Brook Trout Get the Blues”, since than got all of John’s Gierach books (with exception of the small volume of his poems).

Similarity.

I've never read a single "technical" fishing manual cover to cover, or in one general time frame, with the exception of some of his books. Everything else is far too boring to be entertaining, and I'd rather go fishing and make mistakes than read about fishing.

Gierarch's books, OTOH, have been enjoyable, and entertaining, reading.

"Trout" by RB

wildtrout2 wrote:
My first book was Trout Fishing, by Joe Brooks (1972). Still have it in very nice condition. I got it from the Outdoor Life book club. Remember the old "get 8 books for $1" deal?

I recently came across this book while browsing an antique store with my wife. And with a $5 price tag, had to buy it.
It is a very good read - and after almost 40 years, still has a lot of useful info.
I was kinda surprised to find him recommending that newbies to fly fishing should start out with dry flies. I completely agree with him on that. That is how I got hooked on FF, and have gotten quite a few other people started into it fishing drys only.

My first was Marinaro's "A Modern Dry Fly Code," in the mid-eighties. Though I enjoyed it immensely, indeed I studied it earnestly, it lead me into a dry fly cul-de-sac for many years.

But the story has a happy ending because I later read Ray Bergman and found my way again.

Mine was "The Orvis® Guide to Beginning Fly Fishing" Book by Tom Rosenbauer. Still one of the best entry level books on FF out there.

Started with these and many of the authors who wrote them..

Attachments

• books 002.jpg
    books 002.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 4
sandfly wrote:
Started with these and many of the authors who wrote them..

Lot of great classics there.

LaFontaine's Caddisflies book is such a piece of work, I love reading that from time to time.

I too was tying before fishing. Mostly because my father was really into it and that was his way of getting me addicted.. well it worked. My first book was from him "A Book of Trout Flies" by Preston Jennings. Still use it for the majority of my ties.

Mine was Ed Shenk's Fly Rod Trouting. When I was a kid I had a paper route. I delivered on Main Street. The folks at the Vacuum store gave me a gift certificate to the used book store for Christmas one year. The bookstore had just opened up beside the vacuum store. I had recently bought a fly rod so I ended up buying this fly fishing book with the gift certificate. At the time I was too young for it, I guess. I glanced at some of the pictures and maybe read a few paragraphs here and there, but it wasn't until this year, probably 20 years later that I decided to read the book and take up fly fishing again. Reading it was a real eye opener! I couldn't believe that I had this book that unlocked all the secrets that were a mystery to me back then. I should have read it when I first bought it. There's a lot of things I should've done!

I met Ed twice at two different FF shows. He autographed a copy of his book for me. I talked with him for a while and asked him several questions about FF. He was very willing to answer all my questions. IMO he is a class act. His book is a very good read.

Tups wrote:
My first was Marinaro's "A Modern Dry Fly Code," in the mid-eighties. Though I enjoyed it immensely, indeed I studied it earnestly, it lead me into a dry fly cul-de-sac for many years.

But the story has a happy ending because I later read Ray Bergman and found my way again.
I just bought a old copy of Ray Bergman's "Trout". Looks like a good book. It has LOTS of old wet fly patterns. I love reading those old books.

I grew up in south eastern Massachusetts, fly fishing the kettle ponds on Cape Cod.

When I was about 14, I found a copy of "In The Ring Of The Rise" in my parents basement and I remember being captivated by the photography and really trying to digest what the author had to say.

I asked my Dad where he got it and he said he bought it in a fly shop back in the 70's when he went to PA to fish the Yellow Breeches and the Letort Spring Run.

Little did he or I know that 20 years later happenstance would bring me to south central PA and I would settle down in Boiling Springs where I could fish those places I'd read about over and over again growing up.

I still have that book and it's still one of my favorites.

1st fishing book: Fishing (a Golden Guide) by George S. Fichter & Phil Francis

1st fly fishing book: The Soft-Hackled Fly by Sylvester Nemes

1st fishing classic: The Compleat Angler by Isaak Walton

1st fishing story collection: An Outside Chance by Thomas McGuane

The Golden Guide, given to me by my grandfather, has been on my bookshelf since 1974, the year I started to fish.

Back