Youghiogheny River - New Fish population Study

That first brown looks of the largish persuasion.

How big was that brown?

Take me a long next time. I'll help paddle and bring snacks.

Very few bugs... If you had given me the conditions we had (38-42 degrees, overcast, some very sproradic mist/slight drizzle), I would have bet my bottom dollar on some olives... perhaps they were there and we just were in the wrong locations at the wrong time, but we never positively saw one. there were about 4 risers we saw all day, but they were one time risers - see them once, and then they were gone.
DaveS had noted that the water temp on the river dropped considerably just before our visit (snowmelt), but all 4 fish we caught were browns... no bows. The fish were fairly lethargic (except while trying to photograph) due to the temps... the fights were good, but not what you would expect from fish of that size. Two of the fish took pretty deep (not to the point of harming the fish, mind you, but they were ordering dinner when they took).

It was also interesting to note that some of the fish had VERY few spots and others were nothing but spots. Both very pretty in their own ways.

troutbert - albies was over 20"... DaveS's was 17-18

I have to say when I awoke to a thin coating of snow on my "toon, I was convinced the fish would be few if at all. But I was wrong. I had three fish take buggers, but managed only the one. As far as the population goes... I believe further study is needed. Troutbert, I'll keep you in mind for a future float.
As always, thank you to David and Alby for a great day on the river!

Attachments

• Fsh_2.jpg
    Fsh_2.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 4
  • Yough_Brn.jpg
    Yough_Brn.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Close_up.jpg
    Close_up.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Snow_Float.jpg
    Snow_Float.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 4
My brown was about 20 inches exactly according to my measure-net. I saw him charging for my streamer from out of the depths. What a sight! My brown was not as fat as I would have expected, but that may have to do with the time of year more than anything else.

I think David's brown was in the 16-17 inch class.

If you're going to have a one fish day, these are the fish you want to have it with. Thanks to David and DaveS for a lovely day on the water.

albatross wrote:
My brown was about 20 inches exactly according to my measure-net.

I think that net is metric.

Quality over quantity. I'd take that kind of trade off.
Nice going guys!

Alright, who's house am I staying at when I come out? Lol

Can't wait to get on down there. My streamer box is looking meaty!

Back