Yellow Breeches Outfitters (Back In The Day)

I live in Boiling Springs, just got home from the Breeches at 9:00 PM (caught 3 right at dark). We all need to support the area's fly shops or they won't be around much longer. I don't know about you guys but buying fly gear at Bass Pro or Cabela's just isn't the same as a small shop. Roland's been helpful every time I go in there.

I have nothing but great experiences at YBO. I usually love looking at the consignment rods. Bought an older Scott G rod that was a steal.

On the other hand its hard to support the store when you walk in and they do not have what you need. I would like to see the shelves more stocked. I know Rolands trying his best so I will continue to shop there.

I've been reading this forum for quite awhile, this topic prompted me to register and post.

When I first started fly fishing (seriously fly fishing) Dusty was working at Cold Spring Anglers. I was thinking back to those days about the time this thread was started. I remember talking to Dusty a good many times when he worked there. I recall telling him about the first couple trout I caught with the new setup purchased from them. I also recall the day I walked into the shop and asked about a new rod I'd spotted a couple days prior and Dusty told me "your Dad was in earlier today and bought that rod". I always planned to buy a similar rod to that one and just last week was able to find one.

As for YBO, I haven't been there in years. I don't get over that way much anymore. My flyshop of choice then was Cold Spring Anglers, and now is Flyfishers Paradise in State College.

Dusty is a good fisherman, freind and worthy of most of this praise. I have followed and patronized Dusty from the Burg to Herb's place. I had the pleasure of calling Dusty to inform him of this thread. As soon as Dusty can get his login secured I'm sure that he will post here. Dusty was always the humble good old boy fly fisherman. Rare qualities in a sport that can easily make one feel masterful after one good outing. I could always relate to Dusty. Dusty let's get after some steel again. Mitzi wants to go and says hi..
I hope that Dusty uses his own name as a login it would and should command some respect here. Be nice.

Decker10 wrote:
I live in Boiling Springs, just got home from the Breeches at 9:00 PM (caught 3 right at dark). We all need to support the area's fly shops or they won't be around much longer. I don't know about you guys but buying fly gear at Bass Pro or Cabela's just isn't the same as a small shop. Roland's been helpful every time I go in there.

I'll slightly disagree, I have felt more welcome in the Harrisburg Bass Pro fly shop that I ever was in YBO (past and present).

I wont make a blanket statement and say that all big box stores are like that but there are some good guys that work in the Harrisburg BPS.

Dusty is a good fisherman, freind and worthy of most of this praise. I have followed and patronized Dusty from the Burg to Herb's place. I had the pleasure of calling Dusty to inform him of this thread. As soon as Dusty can get his login secured I'm sure that he will post here. Dusty was always the humble good old boy fly fisherman. Rare qualities in a sport that can easily make one feel masterful after one good outing. I could always relate to Dusty. Dusty let's get after some steel again. Mitzi wants to go and says hi.. I hope that Dusty uses his own name as a login it would and should command some respect here. Be nice.

Great, I look forward to him posting, as it has been a long time. I followed him over to Cold Spring Anglers and then sort of got away from fishing for a few years. I hate to think of all the stuff he sold me. :)

Went in YBO today to give it another try and I needed a new pair of forceps. I found a nice pair, that were just what I wanted and I bought them, but it was the last pair there. I looked around for awhile, but the selection is sparse. I will continue to stop in when I am there, but it was actually hard to spend money, which is not a problem I normally have. :)

Jim

if there were a real fly fishing store in center city philadelphia I'd buy there. when orvis was on walnut street they had plenty of tweed jackets with leather elbows but ask for 22 hooks in July and you got a blank stare. you guys with a local shop are lucky.

I worked with Dusty at the TCO shop that moved into Cold Spring Anglers a few years back. I learned a lot and enjoyed every minute working with him.
That shop was stocked to the gills - we had the entire Wapsi catalog. Unfortunately, rent was sky high, and we were hitting the recession.

I had hoped to fish with Dusty at some point. Anyone know if he's on here? Thanks.
Matt

Matt, I remember you, also, from TCO's short stay in Carlisle.

Roland, I am sure, is doing his best in a tough business. I am sure he is not carrying the inventory he would like, but I still support him whenever I can.

Back