Would you still fish?

ryguyfi wrote:
so does the purported drop in license sales due to an increased cost show an increase in poaching or just less fishermen?

That's the question.

I agree, this is the real question.

Of course I would still fish....I wouldn't like it, but I would still buy the FL and keep fishin'.

Since I don't fish many stocked waters I'd have to consider not buying a license at $50.

PatrickC wrote:
I get annual licenses in 3 states...hasn't stopped me yet. I guess I should really say, "My wife hasn't stopped me yet." ;-)

me too!

I pay for several out of state fishing and hunting licenses each year. I've spent as much as a thousand dollars in a year for the various licenses. $50 or $100 and I would still pay it. This is the sport that keeps me sane...ish. To me this is my therapy, an escape and a way of life.

Dear wildtrout,

Yes I would still fish. My first fishing license cost $ 16.00 if I remember correctly? That was in 1976 when gas cost $ .79 a gallon at it's peak, a movie was $ 1.00, maybe $ 2.00, ground beef was $ .69 a pound, etc. etc, etc.

The cost is all relative anyway. If you were to spend $ 50.00 for a license and not go then of course you would eventually decide that the money was not well spent. But if you go more than few times a year the cost is quickly amortized.

Regards,

Tim Murphy ;-)

By the time I phy all the stamps, I think $50 would be a reduction (non-res).

Fun keeps getting more expensive! GG

sandfly wrote:
you all have jobs dont cha ! try it on a fixed income like some of us have (osprey is one) goes to 50 and a lot of us will have to decide to eat or fish...guess I'll have to start eating them again if it hits 50...daily limit here we come !!

You crack me up...you are self employed. If you don't like your income, fix it. Its not a fixed income. Sell some flies. Should take you a few hours to pay for that 50 dollar license. Costs me 40 bucks now for a license and both trout and Erie stamps. One less trip to Wendy's Drive thru a year will make up the difference. If you think about he thing you waste money on in a year, 10 bucks is nothing. Maybe you could cut back by not spending the money on matching shirts for the Jam!

Toofish wrote:
FiveWeight wrote:
The fishing license here in PA is cheap.... Check out greens fees on an average golf course and hit the links every other weekend and see what your bottom line on that is for a year.... The cost to fish here in PA is no prob, Now.... let me add up the cost of fishing and golf and ammo and the bar and the amateur radio hobby..... Oh, I guess I still have to eat.....
I am in for 50!!
deN3EOG

QSL N3EOG. 73 fer now de N3HQN QRT

Yes, I'd still buy the license and fish.

But if the license fee is going to increase substantially, I'd want an improvement in the return for what I'm getting: more poaching enforcement, antipollution efforts, easement negotiations, wild trout habitat improvements, an end to counterproductive practices like stocking over wild fish.

The average round of gold is abt $75 per round so they could increase it to $100 (which would still suck) and it would still be a bargain .... especially when you consider that $75 bucks gets you abt 4 hours of frustration. When I fish I can get frustrated from sunrise to sunset. :lol:

Seniors should get a break on things like fishing licenses. $50 for the gen pop, $30 for over 60's.

money isn't an issue if you truly love something.

Instead of raising the price of licenses they need to ticket the ones that I see fishing daily without a license down at PennyPack Park. I even see some fishing with nets and I tell them it's illegal. Raise the fine on those and use that for better stocking of areas or better yet.....put it towards repairing the many rivers we have in PA that don't support fish aquatic life because of pollution.

I said that all in one breath...The truth is - If I can buy a 6 flags great adventure ticket for around $80.00 and only spend a day there.....I would not have a problem with a fishing license.....let's just hope this doesn't happen.

wildtrout2 wrote:
I'm curious how many folks would continue to buy a fishing license if the cost (hypothetically) went to $50?

Yes, yes I would. Love everything about it too much to stop.

i think it would weed out alot of the weekend worriors, wich the money lost would probobly hurt the trout stocking program. ha! :p o well...but for a guy like me that doesnt fish stocked streams anyway...you bet id pay it.

I would still buy my license and the wifes!!!!!!!!! WE enjoy it way to much to let it go. To put it in perspective last year I bought my general hunting license, archery, bear, and 2 doe tags. I made it into the woods 0 times due to my wife being pregnant and the birth of my son. What did I do in August bought it all again, because one day in the outdoors is worth alot more to me than what I spent. Fishing even more so because I can fish so close to home on any given day from Jan-Dec.

Back