Wool in a dubbing loop (shenk's white minnow)

hbgbswanson

hbgbswanson

I'm really struggling for some reason, I brush out the sculpin wool but it always ends up clumpy or loose and just pulls out. I never seem to get the nice body I see in all the pictures. I don't have issues with a dubbing loop with other materials although they definitely have shorter fibers....anyone have any tips or pointers?

Would be much appreciated.

(I think the most frustrating/embarrassing part is a I watched Ed Shenk whip one of these out in no time at the Lancaster show!)

The one thing I have found to work for me is to give a twist or two between each clump of wool that I put in the loop. It helps me to have a little tighter grip on the wool. Make sure you give it a good tight spin before wrapping it on the hook.

Also, try putting a healthy coat of head cement on the hook shank prior to wrapping.

Thanks guys, I read online too that I may be overdoing the twist. I think the frustration has past and I'm ready to give it another go tonight.

Thanks for posting. I just picked up some white sculpin wool yesterday. Are you blending it and if so with what? Rabbit? I watched Mike Heck tie one of these up at that Lancaster show and the hair was a flyin'! Looking forward to getting these in the fly box for my limestoner trips!

You'll know you overdid the twist when the thread breaks! :-D

I did see in his book he mixes it with white rabbit, I don't have any at the moment so I was just using the wool (poorly) as I saw Ed Shenk tie it. Kind of interesting when I was watching him tie it he prefers yellow thread for some reason.

I'm wondering if the rabbit hair might help it dub better. In watching Mike, all the material seemed to lay on the dubbing loop rather nicely and then he just twisted it up.

Rabbit fur is what ed shenk made his white minnow out of an that will be far easier to work with.

you can alway cut the fibers thats what i do . as for why ed uses yellow thread that black and olive is what he has (he bough a life time supply ) the yellow is for the hopper black for the cricket olive for the sculipen sp?

Thanks beadhead, unfortunately my issue is all execution.

Rabbit helps when blended with the wool. The orginal minnow was tied with Artic fox. Actic fox is easy to find and works great. The rabbit/wool blend is a very nice alternative. I use that for my "to sell" flies unless I've been asked to tie with Artic. Don't over-spin the dubbing and don't make the dubbing too heavy in the loop.

Mike heck

Back