Wintertime bargain shopping...?

Anyone else finding some sweet deals they want to post a link for? I posted a link in the fly tying forum for a guy on Ebay who I get my hooks for... he's got 100 dai rikis for around 7.50... .50 off his usual price.

Just bought my girl friend a 4/5wt 7ft 6 gp rod for this season. You guys think it will be ok?

Depends on what kind of water you fish. Seems kind of short for a beginner to learn to cast with. But that is my opinion.

we do all nymph fishing. we fish around the coolsprings mercer pa area.

little sandy , big sandy , cool springs it will be fine , they can be brushy , it will make a good rod

Ryguy ,
at 2.2 oz. the 3.5 oz top water reel will balance it out , i have the 4wt a-5 7'6" at 2.7 oz. and the top water reel came free with it and it balances perfectly , i felt the 4 wt was a little more versitile , figured it would handle the wind better , cast streamers better , and if i bunged up my 5 wt i could use it as a back up for bigger water if i absolutely had too . the gp 4/5 wt 7'6 is a smoking deal at 44.95 , if my wife hadn't of got me the a-5 for x-mas i would have got the gp instead. for brush busting

troutslammer thanks so much. Can anyone confirm the flex on these GPX rods? Like i said i bought a 7ft6 rod, lookin to buy a 8wt in a couple hours if anyone can get back to me. I really cant pass up these deals. I am hoping that these rods have a nice bend to them.

medium fast on the smaller rods , not sure about the bigger but i would guess med fast in a 8 wt , what did u think of the gp rod ?

i just went and bought the 8wt. If this helps anyone a little i found a review on another forum

http://flyanglersonline.com/bb/showthread.php?t=1126

Cabela's cahill combo's are on sale for $29.99

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat21404-cat601979-cat21430&id=0052677320499a&navCount=30&podId=0052677&parentId=cat21430&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=9IS&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat21430&hasJS=true

I'm always on the net looking for different fly gear steals. I look anywhere from cabelas to sierratradinpost to ebay and back again. I've landed some ridiculous bargains too. Last thing I picked up was a W&J escape pack for $40. It's really a sickness. I look way too much and way too often.

As it's been said, you can go broke saving money.

David just as an aside what kind of 9wt did you pick up? I was bidding on one on ebay but didn't win it. Wondering if you beat me out?

StudentofTheStream wrote:

David just as an aside what kind of 9wt did you pick up? I was bidding on one on ebay but didn't win it. Wondering if you beat me out?

It was a custom made 9'. He thought it might have been a lamiglas blank. It appears (and feels) to me to be the same blank as in my beloved orvis western deschutes 7wt that I use for steelhead. He also threw in two new fly lines (a WF floater and a sink tip).
If it was you...Thanks for driving up the price!! :-x

Your comment about sierra reminded me I got a floatoon for some lake fishing. It was $200 on sale for $70ish. Black and gold was the only color left, which was ok for me!

Nope wasn't me then. I was trying to pickup a 9wt boron rod. It wasn't something I needed but for the price it was hard not to at least give it a shot.

I'm always watching....

You're better off with the 3 wt.

Salmo

Hook n Hackle had a Mustad blowout last week. I scored 3000 Mustad Classics at $6.50/100. What a deal. I love sales.:)

i got a bunch of those mustad hooks too. i didnt get mine yet. im still waiting. hook and hackle always have great sales.

Not sure if this would be considered bargain shopping or impulse buying but my local flyshop had a few pairs of "last years" Simms waders leftover. A pair of G3 stocking foots happened to be in my size and I recieved a considerable markdown. I then proceeded to blow my stash of Cabela's giftcards on a pair of Korkers streamborn boots. Quite the upgrade from my rubber hip boots.

A bargain is a bargain no matter what it is:)

i got a bunch of those mustad hooks too. i didnt get mine yet. im still waiting. hook and hackle always have great sales.

I checked my account info, and mine was shipped Friday.

Back