Winter fishing

Mattd,

I don't usually sweat in the winter unless it's a little warmer but I have used breathables in cold weather (neoprenes had a leak) and let me tell you, DANG IT'S COLD! It's usually just my feet that get cold in neoprenes but anything thats in the water gets in a hurry in my breathables. Give it a shot this year and see how it works out for you but I don't know that I'll revisit that unless I spring another leak.

I always fish in breathables because I hate the tight feel of neoprenes. Even on the coldest days when I need to break ice on the banks to get in the water I remain warm. As long as you dress correctely under your waders you will be fine and warm enough to spend all day on the water.

It may all depend on what your wearing underneath. I don't know though, I will give it a shot. As far as feet go I've tried about everything. Best advice I ever got there was to make sure your boots aren't tight. I used to try wearing multiple socks but it would make my feet tight in the boots. They will get colder quicker even if you are wearing multiple socks. Don't know why but it does work.

The tight boots cause a problem because air is a better insulator than any fabrics out there.

I've got a pair of wool thigh high socks that I wear in the winter. Between that and a pair of jeans under my breathables, I stay alive. It's not easy though. I'd imagine a pair of polar fleece or something like that under the jeans would keep me pretty warm.

I wore fleece and jeans under my breathables with some decent wool socks. I agree that neoprenes are a pain to get on and off and I don't like the tight fit but alas they have kept me warmer in the winter. To each his own I suppose.

Back