Winter Fishing-Cold Feet & Hands Solutions?

B

bumpyintheburgh

Now that we're moving toward winter and colder temperatures, any recommendations on keeping feet and hands from freezing while in the water besides heavy socks and gloves? Got the core covered in layers, fleece and Gore-Tex shell and head covering but have problems with the extremities. Anyone tried battery heated socks or the chemical heat inserts for your toes or feet? I've used them effectively in a ski boot and they can get quite hot but wondered if heating the stocking feet in the wader would damage the material or sealed seam. What about gloves, synthetic, rubberized or wool? Fingerless or full?

do not wear cotton socks-
do not over dress so that you sweat on the walk in.

Good Advice above

I reccommend a good whiskey and a flask. Really wont keep you warm but you just think you are ;-)

Cotton is definitely out. I wear heavy weight capilene long underwear bottoms under breathable waders. I'm used to dressing for skiing and have logged many miles road cycling in the winter where wind is the problem but this will be my first winter of wading in water chasing trout after many years away from fly fishing. I'll save the whiskey for back at the car with the heater on.

Boot foot waders warm socks, with and over sock of the fleece variety. As for pants you can getaway with cotton pants if you've got good long johns, and itisn't sper cold. For gloves I have fleece gloves with the finger tips missing. A mitten over them is a plus. Keep them dry, and take an extra set of clothes with you in case you fall in. That way your day isn't ruined.

I just wear layers with a wind/water proof wading jacket.

Wool socks and wool fingerless gloves. I will use the hand warmers in pockets, but the foot warmers never worked too well for me. Your feet go numb in the water anyway, so just keep moving around to keep your temp up.

I also have a good insulated hat. That helps.

Dear bumpy,

Like the others said layers are best. Synthetics are best for the base layers, you really should get polypropolene wicking socks that get the moisture off your feet and into the outer socks. Once that is done you can wear just about any sock though I prefer wool just because I'm old fashioned.

The same thing goes for what you ear under your waders. A synthetic base to get the moisture off your skin and then wear what you want. I like fleece pants.

Gloves are a matter of personal preference. I have fingerless ragg wool, fingerless synthetic with mitten tops, and Glacier gloves. I like the Glacier gloves the best for extreme cold but you absolutely have to warm them up first. If you put them on ice cold you waste so much heat from your hands just trying to warm them up that you'll likely be miserable. Once they are warm they are awesome.

The wool gloves work well and have the added bonus of keeping you warm when they are damp. They also offer a firm grip on a fish and you can quickly shake the excess water out of them with a snap of your wrist.

The fingerless synthetics work well but I can't always keep the mitten top that folds over firmly attached to the velcro and out of the way when fishing. My line seems to snag on the mitten top alot but that may just be me.

I agree with Jay about the hat, but that has been proven to be a myth. It was just beat into me so strongly when I was a kid that I think I have to wear a hat, so I do.

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

I use Filson socks and underwader pants from cabelas and i'm nice and toasty from the waist down .

look into some heavy ski/ snowboard socks

Single biggest thing for me finding warmth was throwing the neoprenes out. Once they got cold, they were impossible to warm up as they acted like an insulator for the cold as well.
Breathable bootfoot gained me alot.

I would agree with everything so far...I would add a few more tips...

If you have two pair of waders take them. Always take a second set of dry warm clothes...and I always take my gloves off and throw them on the bank or tuck them in my clothes when landing the fish...wet and cold gloves can be a killer in cold weather......and freeze...your hands might be cold that little bit of time but they warm nicely after putting them back into those dry gloves...

I wear the heavy fleece pants from cabelas when it is really cold...but most of the time...just keep moving...I love winter fishing...

Are breathable bootfoot waders better than breathable stocking foot waders for cold weather?

Is it going to get cold? It's 60 degrees, raining like crazy and thunderstorming in Lancaster County as I type...

I know it's coming though. Do a search and you're likely to dig up lots of good information. There have been some great topics covering this very subject.

In extreme cold the 5 mm neo with insulated bootfoot will keep you warm even standing in frigid water.Dont wear any cotton next to skin.Wool socks and gloves are the best with poly water wicking socks on first.Head protection is important,a lot of heat is lost there if exposed.

The bootfoots are warmer merely because they are not so tight against your skin.

Starting from top................always wear at least a cap , a high percentage of body heat escapes through the head , not to mention a lot of hot air from our mouths. Actually a cotton t-shirt right next to the body will wick moisture away which helps keep you warm , you should wear the t-shirt under wool though WOOL is the word , 100% wool not watered down versions sweaters , pants , specially socks BAAAAAAAAAAAA.

As for the legs, I like wearing just a pair of fleece sweat pants. They usually do the trick. If I were going in colder weather, which I don't usually, I would probably throw a pair of long johns under them and would be good. For my feet I like to wear a good pair of wicking socks with some heavier wicking hiking socks on the outside. Be careful not to cram your feet in or poor circulation will freeze them up.
I ski too, and my ski jacket serves just fine for my top layer, over a sweatshirt/hoody.

I would also recommend moving around more often than you might in colder water. The fish won't move as much, so you should, plus it will keep you warm.

Avoid tight socks and boots. If your boots or socks are too tight you will be cold.

Kev

Find a moisture whicking pair of socks and put them under your wool socks. they will take the sweat away from your feet and keep them dry. Dry = warm. Also I use a rag wool glove. When it gets wet, it still somehow keeps my hands warm. I know I just contridicted myself, but something about that rag wool really works. I bought some neoprene gloves last year and they are worthless.

Small towel to wipe your wet hands off handling a fish. My hands get the coldest and can make fishing more difficult. Also, fingeless gloves.

Back