White Fly in the burgh?

the dam i am talking about is about 3/4 of a mile UPSTREAM from the 1022 bridge that notates the delayed harvest ffo section. My wifes family runs the heinz camp there so i have access to getting right to the dam but you can wade or walk up to it. Tough wadding but its pretty shallow up there now. I had a monster brown on a few weeks ago there and had a sucker hit my point fly and toss the hook on the brown. He was prob in the 18-20 inch range. There are a few nice holes and runs from the bridge on up but my father and grandfather in law were there all day last week and caught about 10 trout each and some monster smallies like in the pictures above while sitting on the dam. I've had success at the dam with streamers on both bass and trout. There's also an abundance of helgamites and dragon fly nymphs on this stream if you want to fish it when there's not a hatch. I really like a salmon egg pattern at dusk. The trout were hitting it every cast when i was there last week. Too bad it was too dark to see where you were casting or I woulda stayed all night. I'm probably going to try to hit the whitefly hatch in the next few weeks.

Can someone post a whitefly pattern now that we're talking about this hatch so much???

Ry

Fly pattern:

Hook: #12 2Xl dry fly hook (#10 for smallies)
Tail: WHITE
Body WHITE
Hackle: WHITE
Thread: WHITE

Seriously, that is the way I tie them...I do tie some with a dun hackle and smokey wings. when the bass become particular. And a classic wet fly pattern in white is good too.

If you can fins a rising fish during this hatch and put a dry or wet in front of it, you'll catch it. They are not very picky during the first three or four days.

My best hour of fishing during this hatch was 22 fish in 65 minutes. Of course that was before the susky went down the toilet.

The main thing is to not use materials that will break down or you witll be retying flies in the dark or worse whitle fish are rising all around. It doesn't get started till dusk so you need to be ready with whatever will keep you in the game.

I sometimes tie them out of all white deer hair. Tie the tips in for the tail, lash the body down with the white thread up to the wing with 1/16" spacing int he wraps and go back over it in reverse. Stand up the butts comparadun style. and put a ball of dubbing on the head. Sometimes I'll use chartreuse for the wing. but it doesn't help with the visibility once it gets dark.

If you get a good moon, some lights in the background and rising fish you can land fish until after 10:30 pm.

Maurice

I use a small all white popper and wake it accross the surface I find this better than doing a dead drift when there is alot of naturals flying around it makes you fly stand out over the others on the suface :lol:

Thanks guys. What do you think about wrapping poly yarn for the body so it stays tight and doesnt get torn up? I tied one like that and am not sure how it will work. Also, I heard of some people liking to fish the nymph before the hatch. Any recipies for that.
I'm new to the whole following hatches. What time and date is an estimated start for this hatch. Also, I heard it is best to wear a bug mask, tape sleeves, etc. Is this necessary? I def, want to do this. Can't wait!

Thanks for all the input

IF you want to use a fly just use a white wulf I had some decent luck with it . As far as the bug mask I would check how big the hatch is before I would do all that because its going to be hot. I'm already seeing some flies coming of on the Brandywine the last couple off days so get ready for some action :lol:

anyone fish this hatch yet???

Back