Where To Fish On Opening Day To Avoid the Crowds In SEPA?

Well, opening day up here is still a couple of weeks away.

Anyhow, if we are not fishing the river for smallies, we will be fishing the DH stretch or the CR stretch by me.

I'm getting to old and "cranky" to put up with the that come out of the wood work on opening day.

Opening Day = Crowds, there is no way to get away from the crowds. Three years ago I drove all over the place look for a place to fish without crowds, and every stream I looked at had anglers on them. And they were all wild trout streams.
Since this idea of the early opening day, I haven't bothered to fish on opening day. But when I did fish opening day I'd go to may favorite C & R stream, they are deserted. Even those have anglers catching and keeping fish now.

Chaz - I agree with you, yes there are crowds. It's like black friday - expect the worst, hope for the best. But as to your other point...

"But when I did fish opening day I'd go to may favorite C & R stream, they are deserted. Even those have anglers catching and keeping fish now."

Isn't there something you could do about that? I mean if you see them doing it that is. It could be as little as a friendly "Hey man, you know you really shouldn't be doing that on this part of the creek"

Or if it continues why not make a discreet call to your local warden saying "Hey I think there's been a decent amount of illegal activity on this stream, would you mind paying a little more attention to this stretch?"

I'm not saying you should get in a fight about it, or be confrontational, but some people just haven't had the proper amount of education to have a certain level of respect for the sport or the streams ecosystem.

Im headed to a private club in sepa with my hobbie and a bunch of streamers. Last year got a 26" bow that I kept and got smoked at Northbrook marketplace. Delicious

But id say part of the time these anglers in the CR section have no clue. I used to pay not attention to those signs posted by the F&G.

Might fish for largemouth on opening day. It'll be the one and only day I largemouth fish between now and July.

I still like the comment about winging around a size 2 bead head bugger....if they don't get the hint....they'll at least get the hook!

billm67 wrote:
I still like the comment about winging around a size 2 bead head bugger....if they don't get the hint....they'll at least get the hook!

Yes but that method is better to hook "suckers" not trout. :-D

I'll be chasing some snook around in Sanibel Island for the entire first week. Hopefully when I get back the streams will have died down a bit. I wouldn't mind if it rained all week while I am gone but unfortunately that doesn't look to be the case.

Haha, I too am a fan of the bead head comment - now if only I could get my casts good enough to scare 'em!

I was fishing Codorous creek Trophy Trout last weekend and asked a young gentlemen how he was doing on spinners. He picked up a stringer with a nice wild brown on it. I mentioned that trout weren't in season...he thanked me and promptly released it.

Probably died anyways!

This year were gonna blend into the event called "the first day". Were leaving the fly stuff at home and bringing the surf rods with a six ounce sinker and a 6/0 hook with a ten ounce dough ball on it. Were gonna show up about midnight with the boom box set at 10 and build a fire big enough to be seen from mars. After we fall alseep an hour after "the first day" opens were gonna leave all our trash and smoldering camp fire for the land owner to clean up. Next year well find a new spot. Do yourselfs a favor fish all year and start your honey do list on,mow the grass,take your Mom out for breakfast,find a place and move out of your Mothers house on " the first day". BA

nbranch wrote:
Anyhow, if we are not fishing the river for smallies, we will be fishing the DH stretch or the CR stretch by me.

why not go for shad in the river, fight better than any stocker would..

Brookie - that almost sounds like fun....can I say "winning!"? Cause I'm a bitchin' rock star from Mars.

fadeaway263 wrote:
Do you skip opening day or go somewhere remote? I was thinking the Octarara maybe? It is a bit distant from Delco and Philly.

You should go to Valley Creek!

LOL

I may actually take some hardware to camp. I haven't decided yet, and may actually decide the day before. Or I may just get some power bait and put it on a #8 hook. Then chuck it for the stockies in the hole by the cabin.
Then in the afternoon I'll go find a brookie stream and cast QG's for brookies.

Valley Creek????? Are you kidding????? Was there last weekend with about 100 other guys. That place is a joke!!!!!

I have been prospecting two streams and this week a 100 or so stocked trout have showed up in a few big holes well below the designated stocked trout area and a few bruisers as well. I will probably have some competition, but nothing like the designated areas. Plan B is to hit some areas that are less accessable.

Back