What Sink Tip line?

S

Sylvaneous

I want a sink tip for fishing unweighted streamers like a Murdich Minnow . I'm looking at depths and habitat that I'd fish with a fluke and X-rap on conventional tackle. So like 3 foot depths. I got a 3-stage one last year that seemed too hard to handle. It felt like the sink tip was too long; like the line closer in to me sunk the most or too much. I was picking the fly up with line that was deep. I'm not descibing it well. It just seemed I needed a shorter or slower sink tip.

Dear Syl,

Cortland makes mini-lead heads that might do what you want to to do and they aren't very expensive. They are like $ 12.00 to $ 15.00 and come in different sink rates. You could get a couple of sink rates for less money than a fly line.

The problem with sink-tips is that the fly line usually isn't density compensated and between the line, the tip, the leader and the fly you have 4 different sink rates working in the water. It's like working a fly with three hinges in the line.

Here are the sink tip kits I am talking about.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

I used these in still water from a float tube. they'll get it down, but as Tim said, with not much grace. I did find them easier to use on a DT line than a WF line. Never tried them on faster moving water.

As does SA. Theirs are the Sonar Leaders. I like them as they seem to be a bit stiffer, giving me slightly better turn over.

Poly leaders attached to your floating line are okay for a quick change-over when needed, but an actual sink tip line designed for that purpose casts and fishes better. Here are two I can recommend. The Orvis line sinks quicker than the SA line below so select which one will work better for your fishing.

I've use Teeney Sink tip lines and poly leaders for years and would recommend them as a good option . GG

Check out the SA titan sink tip type 3… if not using a full int or int tip, that’s the line I use in the situations you mentioned.

Back