What I've learned...

1. There is no wrong way to do it.

2. I do it the way I like to do it

3. Even though I do it how I want, I'm still not very good at it.

4-- Many people who pride themselves on what they deem "conservation work" really couldn't care less about the environment but are just trying to improve their own day on the water..

Asthma suffers working for clean air couldn't care less about the environment, they are just trying to improve their own days of breathing...

JackM wrote:
I've heard it said we all have an inner Oscar Wilde, but we just suppress it-- not that there is anything wrong with that. But seriously, I only said "many," not "most," and certainly not "all."

Well, that may be true of someone who comes out for one project every once in a while. Anyone I've met who does conservation work regularly rarely feels like there is a "payback". Things improve on the stream sometimes, and sometimes they don't or it's hard to see the improvement. But you keep fighting for the stream because it's too important to give up on.

troutbert wrote:
Asthma suffers working for clean air couldn't care less about the environment, they are just trying to improve their own days of breathing...

The question one might ask is whether they would bother if they didn't have asthma....

Flyfishing conservationists are interested in the environment BECAUSE it produces good fishing.

That's a very different thing than saying they aren't interested in the environment, they are just interested in improving their fishing.

A healthy environment produces positive benefits for human beings. That's the whole point of conservation, restoration etc.

It's enlightened self-interest.

Well, for those to whom I was refering, I might dispute the "enlightened" part. There may be many activities that would do MUCH more to improve the health of the environment, and consequently provide GREATER "positive benefits for human beings," but you won't find these people engaged in them unless it also improves their fishing. Anyhow, I don't expect agreement on the point and would rather not divert the thread further, so you take the last comment if you wish.

I have learned that I go to the stream for:

#1 solitude
or
#2 to get crocked and have fun with a bunch of rowdie friends.

Oddly enough I usually catch more fish under situation #2

That I can spend years fly fishing with someone no matter where they fall on the economic scale and assume that they only have one pair of clothes!!

That 80% of the time that I fish I am just screwing around. The other 20% I am really working.

Rainy days are good fishing days, I hate bright sunny days when I'm fishing.
It doesn't matter what fly you use if the trout are hungry.
If the stream is running up and a bit off color it's better than if the water is gin clear.

Sparse_Grey_Hack wrote:
4. Do not pick up socks found lying in the bushes near trout streams.

If your intentions with #4 were to make someone laugh out loud while on this site at work and have co-workers wonder what you're laughing at, you succeeded. lol

Agree with all that has been said.

1. I have a great time when I fish with friends who don't get to fish alot and they get into fish!

Five things you can change to become more successful..
Depth
Movement
Time

I have learned that you can sometimes create your own hatch if you keep casting your dry to the same fish over and over again. :-D

Back