What Hatches Are You Seeing?

T

troutbert

There have been lots of Grannoms in the mid-state area (Bald Eagle, Little J, Spruce Creek). What hatches have you been seeing and where?

Grannoms were booming today on the little J...they are pretty much done and the guy at Spruce creek says they weren't grannoms, they were little black caddis...they were tough to match today regardless...

Big Fishing Creek- Blue Quills,Grannoms ending.

Little Pine Creek- Brown Stonefly,Tan or Grey Caddis?

Pine Creek- Hendricksons,Blue Quills,Grey Caddis

HOW LONG DO GRANNOMS LAST?

Are those hatches really over for the season? I always thought they hatched for most of the spring.

Black Stonefly, caddis, bwo, craneflies, and a ton of midges all in SE PA at different streams.

Wmass wrote:
HOW LONG DO GRANNOMS LAST?

Are those hatches really over for the season? I always thought they hatched for most of the spring.

I'm not sure EXACTLY, but a rough estimate would be about 10 days or so on a particular stream.

Like other hatches, they start earlier on some streams than others, because of temperature differences. Earlier on warmer streams, later on colder streams.

But on any particular stream they run about 10 days, more or less. If there is someone who is on the stream every day, maybe they could give a more exact answer.

But to answer your question, no they don't hatch for most of the spring. They start, they are around for about 10 days or so, then they are done until next year.

When the Grannoms are over, you progress into the next hatches.

Look at a PA hatch chart to see the usual sequence.

black caddis.

Have been seeing blue quills lately.

Here a recent photo of some Grannoms hanging out.

Attachments

• Grannoms.JPG
    Grannoms.JPG
    386.3 KB · Views: 4
Last week in Hell Hollow I saw some Quill Gordons, and some caddis, but very few. It is not a very fertile stream though. Today I saw a few caddis some stone flies and a few more gordons, on one of 67 Laurel Runs. I caught more trout 27, than I saw flies. The trout I though were a bit thin, but it's early. All but 2 of the trout were legal.

troutbert has it nailed, the only thing I can add is that when we have warm weather with the hatch it seems to shorten the days duration and concentrates the hatch., on Friday the hatch was unbelievable REALLY like a blizzard. Hope you find your rod man, that sucks, I lost a reel and a rod and reel in the last few years. There may be a few Grannoms left on the upper reaches of the river, there were a few at Spruce yesterday and a few on the lower end (very few)

In Potter the hendricksons and blue quills are still around, although the hendricksons are starting to peeter out and with the colder wetter weather this week will probably be done by next weekend. I also saw some caddis, tan, and a reddish colored stonefly this weekend, but the hendricksons seemed to bring more fish up then anything. I saw some black caddis on Pine on Friday below Galeton, but as usual nothing was rising, with it just being stocked the guys at camp were hitting em pretty hard anyhow. Oh well, thank goodness for wild streams.

Saturday, Mifflin Cty. --- Black Flies

Sunday, Clinton Cty. ---- Black Flies

Not a fishable hatch, but a slappable hatch.

Didn't see rising fish but the brookies hit random dry flies pretty well anyway.

Caddis of all shapes, sizes and colors on the Tully yesterday. Midge swarm at about 6 PM up the nostrils, in the ears, the whole 9 yards :-D

i'm just counting down the hours for sulphurs.i just can't wait.

Saw a little yellow cranefly for the first time yesterday near dusk. Limestoner, mid-state area.

Back