Weighted Nymphs

A few years back when I used Fly Stop flies, I thought they were great. Awesome price for a pretty good quality fly.

To the OP, if you are getting tung head nymphs for a buck a piece, thats a steal. Tungsten beads have come down in price, but they are still really expensive compared to brass. Like in the neighborhood of 10x+. I think for the purposes of what you described, a tung head nymph wont be heavy enough. You are looking for lead wrapped body AND a tung bead. I have to agree with everyone else that this is a specialty tie, and you would be better off buying 200 at a time from a local guy. That way you arent paying $5 a piece. I tie heavy nymphs like this for like $0.60 a piece. Thats just barebones material cost, and I buy all my materials at the lowest prices. If it costs a tyer $0.60 in materials to tie a fly, you can expect him to want to sell it for 3-4x that amount, so he makes some money.

Fly stop is very generic, no anchor flies, thanks for the link though,catching shadows, ah maybe, I think decoy flies has better quality, little expensive but you get what ya pay for. If i order ill be sure to review..

Difficulty in locating specific flies seems like a good reason to consider tying. :roll:

lv2nymph wrote:
Difficulty in locating specific flies seems like a good reason to consider tying. :roll:

+1 jack.

also, I would rather use split shot than get a virus using weighted nymphs...

if you cast further upstream your rig will sink to the bottom with less weight.

Back