WB Delaware

D

dano

I'm going to be in the Hancock area for a PHW seminar April 12th-15th. It seems we are staying at the Delaware River Club.
Can anyone point me in the right direction as far as fly selection and hatches. I'm guessing with this long winter it's going to be too early for hendicksons and quill gordons. Is there any dries, nymphs or streamers that I should not be without?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Dan O.

Olives

The folks at the DRC will be happy to point you in the right direction.

I would guess BWO's or stoneflies for dries.
Although catskill flies web site is still predicting hendricksons to hatch there around mid month.
I would have them with me - just in case

For nymphs, PT in 14-16, green caddis 14-16, yellow stone 6-8. If you do see bugs flying around it will likely be olives and maybe a few paraleps. If you see small black winter stones, you can ignore them.....the fish do too. There is a good chance you will see some Chimarra caddis (charcoal #18 with a cream / yellow larva #18).

+1 on the DRC. Talk to Bart in the shop. You also have Coz at Borderwater Outfitters and the crew at the WB Angler. Read fishing reports and take that info with a grain of salt. Remember, their goal is to get you to come to town so "river on fire" reports happen frequently and you show up to find that the river isn't even smoldering. LOL.

It's early yet, but as stated, bead-head pheasant tails, or if bugs are up, it will be Little Blue Quills or BWO's or Little Black Caddis.
I fished the Bushkill on Saturday with a friend, and we each managed to get a fish on Little Black Stone Stimulators.
Good luck.
Artie

Back