Warmwater vs coldwater and why?

I do, and imagine I will always, fish both. Each offers its own form of challenges and milestones. As a relative newcomer to fly fishing (almost 5 years), it has opened up my eyes to the techniques can be learned to catch fish in different conditions, in both cold and warm water.

My brother has been fly fishing for over 30 years, and from time to time, he would try to get me interested. I didn't have the patience to learn it when I was younger, but I started at around 40, and never looked back. I had periods of spin fishing over those years, and used to think my brother was crazy - he only ever fly fished - even in ponds, lakes and warm water streams. But now, I get it. I am the same way. With the exception of salt, which I don't do much of anyway, I haven't picked up a spinning rod in 4 years.

So yes, I do both, enjoy both, and will probably always do both.

I'm with all the moving water people. I do fish lakes and ponds, but I enjoy rivers and streams much better weather it's a small mountain trout stream or a big warmwater river. And I enjoy catching all kinds of different species. Trout, lm and sm bass, white bass, hybrids, cats, eyes, drum, crappie, gills, perch, I like catching them all. Trout do happen to be my favorite, mostly because of the surroundings, but I couldn't imagine not being able to fish for warmwater species.

I grew up fishing with spinning gear and I've only come to really love the FF world with in the past 5 years. My love is just fishing!! Plain as that. I do love the quest of getting trout to sample whats at the end of my tippet. Standing in a cold stream in the middle of a beautiful forest is one of the benifits of fishing for trout. But when the water warms I do find it just as relaxing to be standing on the banks of a pond, throwing a fluffy popper to entice a slab bluegill or orange bellied Sun fish!! Finding a new quarry, a new type of fish, really makes my adrenaline pump!! Steelhead, Salmon and my newest quest, to catch some mean "toothie" Muskie/Pike or Pickerel has got me tying up some BIG flies!!! With every new fish brings a new kind of fly to try to make too!!!

Back