Warm Wading Jacket

P

ponner1us

Looking for recommendations for a warm wading jacket for steelhead fishing. I do layer but I think I'd like something lined to cut down on the bulk. I don't have the money to spend on Simms or Patagonia. I'd like lots of pockets (preferably with zippers). And I would also welcome alternative suggestions, such as Carhartt (specific models), etc... Thanks in advance.

I know you said that you did not have the money to spend on Simms but they do have a nice insulated wading jacket that they just came out with recently. It costs 279.00... not bad compared to the typical cost of other Simms wading jackets which go all the way up to 500.00. I have seen it in person and it is really nice... nice enough to wear to work.

I wish I could help you out more but figured I would give my two cents since nobody responded.

Thanks NickR, I just ran across that in my online search, the Simms Bulkley, looks exactly like what I'm looking for, now I need to come up with the funds...

I know this is not what you want to hear but I recommend layering with the right kind of base layer such as under armour heat gear then additional layers which can be modified on the fly. There can be significant temp swings through the day and certainly throughout the season. There are a couple of simms gortex jackets on clearance if you look online. Make sure you get a good wind and water proof jacket, then get good techical layers. You can use the jacket for spring and fall rainy Trout fishing with a lighter jacket.

Ponner,

I bought the columbia omni tech a couple years ago for around $125.00. This is the jacket from columbia's website but I think you can find it cheaper. It has been battle tested on the Delaware and Salmon River in the winter. It has been a great jacket.

Columbia OmniTech

mcwillja, I was actually considering that one, is it warm? I can find it for $81, I'm 6'1", 170lbs, would a xxl be too big? And how are the pockets? I hate velcro...

Ponn,

yes it is warm, breathable and waterproof. There is some velcro and i hate velcro too but it has not been an issue. I am 5' 8" 170 lbs and I got the large. I think you will like the jacket if you get it.

jdaddy wrote:
I know this is not what you want to hear but I recommend layering with the right kind of base layer such as under armour heat gear then additional layers which can be modified on the fly. There can be significant temp swings through the day and certainly throughout the season. There are a couple of simms gortex jackets on clearance if you look online. Make sure you get a good wind and water proof jacket, then get good techical layers. You can use the jacket for spring and fall rainy Trout fishing with a lighter jacket.

Ditto - stick with the layering approach you already use. I'd rather have three good pieces of technical gear (one shell and two layers) that you can use to cover almost 100% of the situations, rather than one good piece of technical gear (one shell with fleece liner) that only covers 25% of the situations you fish.

I agree with the layering idea, however, a wading jacket for steelhead season, especially if one fishes the Salmon River in winter is a necessity IMO. A wading jacket for the delaware is also a must as well. That is just my opinoin though.

mcwillja wrote:
I agree with the layering idea, however, a wading jacket for steelhead season, especially if one fishes the Salmon River in winter is a necessity IMO. A wading jacket for the delaware is also a must as well. That is just my opinoin though.

We arent suggesting there is no need for a wading jacket, quite to the contrary. I just suggest the wading jacket for D and SR are one and the same and modifications to the layers makes that jacket more versatile.

First of all, you don't need a wading jacket to fish anywhere or any time of the year. Get a jacket that's warm and water proof and short enough to not interfere with your wading. Then it something you may use for other occasions.

chaz I think you just gave the definition of a wading jacket. waterproof and short are the two main components.

From the economical end why not layer and wear a non-bulky jacket you are comfortable with and for your gear go with a chest pack , this way you can have the desired warmth you want and chest packs can be had for alot less$$$$$

To me, the main purpose of a wading jacket is to keep you dry in rain, or snow. If there's no precip coming down, I'd really rather fish without one - they are somewhat confining IMO. I also wonder how much warmth an insulated jacket would add when worn over a vest or chest pack?
Totally agree with the other posts about layering being the way to go in cold weather.
And too - if I'm gonna shell out 200 - 300 bucks on a good jacket, I want to be able to wear it in all seasons

Not really, because there are any number of jackets available that you don't have to pay an arm and a leg for that will do what a wading jacket will do.

Since I have a young family (=little extra money) I have a camo jacket that is short enough to double as a cold weather wading jacket since it is waterproof. I also prefer wearing drab or camo on smaller streams to help conceal from spooky fish not sure if it helps or not.

layer approach for me,
This is what I wear typically for steelhead in Late November - freeze up(usually @18*f, at that temp conditions are just too though to fish in)
Gortex shell,
Down jacket
Wind proof fleece jacket
A vest poly pro or down
Fleece shirt
Poly under ware.
Keeps me warm down to single digits standing stationary
don't forget a wind proof hat
A few pair of gloves, one to wear wet, others are dry and kept close to body dry & warm

I have the greys grxi... awesome jacket but honestly i think jeff has the right idea about getting an all year or at least 3-season wading jacket that will block wind and keep you dry. That is the #1 thing you need your outer layer to do. A good wicking layer, followed by a solid base layer will keep you warm and not overly bulky. By adding it into the jacket you are not cutting it out anywhere at all. If you get cold easy I'd recommend a wind proof fleece underneath the wading jacket along with a really warm hat. I've fished single digits and below zero plenty and the only thing that hurts is my hands after releasing a fish (hate wearing gloves and fishing)

Maybe this has been resolved? Any update? If not, I think the idea of the wading jacket is to keep dry (and therefore warmer, I suppose) but not necessarily act as an insulating layer. Just like the idea of the insulating coats (down, poly-fill, or fleece) is to keep warm but not necessarily dry. The jobs are very different so that is why there are very few, insulated, waterproof wading jackets. Ditto for ski parkas, mountaineering coats, and even hunting coats. All of the best ones are "systems". A zip out liner is still layering, and you will still pay for two layers. That said, you will find some wading jackets are defintiely more set up for cold weather wearing. My older Patag. SST, for example, has a fleece lined collar and fleece lined handwarmer pockets. Doesnt pack worth crap and I dont wear it in summer but it's pretty bombproof. One of the higher end models (from whatever manufacturer you choose) will probably be a better bet for what you seem to want. Find some pics of guides in Alaska, Russia, or TDF. You aren't gonna find anything warmer than what they are wearing. And yes, a XXL is way too big for 6'1 and 170. Fit is important to how it will perform and you will be swimming in a XXL. Sorry for the long post.

This is resolved. While the Simms Bulkley was exactly what I was hoping/looking for, I just could not justify the price ($280). And while I understand the layering (it's what I do now, after all), I was just hoping to avoid one final layer, and when steelhead/salmon fishing, I use my jacket as my vest/pack, so it's always on, not just for rain/snow, hence the need for lots of pockets. Anyway, I wound up getting a great deal on a Redington Sonic Pro from SierraTradingPost for around $132 (after coupon codes), and bought a couple of fleece hoodies with the money saved. But surprisingly I did need a 2XL, I got the XL first but it was just a little too snug with the aforementioned layers so I sent it back and got the 2XL, fits perfect. I will be using the jacket in about 2 weeks, either at the Salmon River or out near Erie, I'm sure it will be a great addition to my gear. Thanks for all of the help/advice!

Back