Wading belt question

E

edhank

Do any of you use a wading belt to support your lower back? I’ve recently been diagnosed with some lower back problems and came across the fishpond West Bank wading belt. Does it actually provide support?

I'd be interested to hear what the crew thinks about this one.

I have not heard of wearing a belt for fishing for the purpose of back support or pain mitigation. Many of us suffer back pain of varying degrees. Personally, I'm skeptical that a belt will help, but others may have some better experience with this.

I can't speak for the Fishpond belt.

I have the Simms "Backsaver" wading belt. I have a lower lumber disc issue. The belt makes a big difference for me.

edhank,

Comments from the peanut gallery:

I googled that belt and it looks sturdy. I would prefer something that goes under the waders. Also, have you considered a weight lifting belt?
That way you would get the support you need and look like a bad *** fly fisher!

cheers.

I have worn a Hodgman wadelite belt for the last few years. Wish it was a little wider but it velcros down nice and tight and has convenient acc. loops. It definitely helps me and I am 65 with off and on back issues from a life of farm/construction work. In addition I try to use the lightest rod I can since I tend to do a lot of nymphing.

I had back surgery in 1990 and it worked great for me. Occasionally I have back pain but the real problem is fatigue. I just can't stand for hours on end without experiencing discomfort from fatigue. I will wear a hodgeman belt if I'm going to be out for more then 3 or 4 hours and just have my lanyard and a couple tins of flies. it works great but it could be a little wider? I would not recommend a weight lifting belt because they are simply to stiff.

I also use a cabelas lumbar/waist pack that is almost twice as wide as the belt. This provides great support when worn across the lumber. Also keeps the weight off of your shoulders, chest, and stomach which are areas where added weight tends to irritate the lower back.

Everybody's backs are different though so you will have to go through your own trial and error.

I have that fishpond belt and it does help with my back problem.

I ordered both the Simms backsaver belt and the fishpond thing. Hopefully one of these two can help. I’m also going to start PT and start back to the gym and get my core strengthened up. Thanks for the inpit

i have never used this but saw it while looking for a stripping basket on etsy and it came up....

https://www.etsy.com/listing/595483025/koolbak-wader-fishing-support-belt?ref=shop_home_active_9

maybe someone will find it helpful/useful.

I have the Umpqua Swiftwater vest and have been using it on & off for a few years. It has a support belt built right in. I don't prefer a vest but it does help with support.

I much prefer a minimalist approach and like the Goertzen system. Not much support there though.

I would go to medical device companies and try on back braces. They typically have Velcro enclosures to adjust the tension. They do help me, and I doubt anyone has more serious back problems than me. And health insurance may cover the cost.

After surgery in 2009 (3 discs removed), I found the best support from the medical supply companies. The type mentioned by Outsider ^ with velcro, tension adjustment and stiffeners in the back.
I wear this under my waders.
My health insurer co. did cover the cost. My Dr. provided the prescription.
The ones I tried and made by the fishing supply companies did very little in actual lumbar support

Back