Waders again.....

Hogeman waders with Orvis brogues...really good combo...the orvis pro guides are one of the toughest out there..

I'm the toughest person on waders. I fish a lot, and favor the large rocky streams - Yough, Clarion, Little Juniata.
I've had trouble with all of them, and don't think anyone really makes a good pair.
I even sprung for Simms guide weights about 6-7 years ago, and still had the heels start leaking after a year or so. And Simms said the problem was my fault and charged me $75 to repair them. I'll never by their waders again - at least the other companies stand behind their product.
That said, I bought the Orvis pro guides in spring 06. They were fine all last year. When I wore them for the first time this year, they leaked in several places. I sent them back in June, and Orvis replaced them no problem - didn't even charge me the $30 handling fee. For $199 - I paid $289 - I don't think you can go wrong. And Orvis will stand behind them.
If you want gore tex, I saw that Simms has a pair out now that cost $249 - called L series or something like that. I was looking at them in a local fly shop last week. In spite of my experience with them, lots of guys swear by Simms, and they are probably worth looking into

flybinder- Thanks, I will let you know. Yea, my size thing is problematic. Might be easier if I just lose more weight. I am hoping I am not in the market for waders for at least a year. Paul

jdemko,

I just wear my regular breathables. Wear a layer of fleece or underarmour, as well as some wool knee socks.

I just ordered a pair of the Orvis waders, and I'll report how they work. I decided to go with them because it sounds like even the best waders fail pretty often, and in my experience Orvis's customer service is second to none.

Well. the verdict is in...for the wades I ordered the Orvis GSII model. It was hard to pass up a deal like that on a wader with those features. Just hoping they are not too hot in the summer. If so I may have to get my old ones cut down and stictched for waist highs or hippers...even though they leak a little, it isn't uncomfortable to have wet feet in the summer.

And for the boots I am going with the Korkers Streamborn model. For now without the studs...we will see how it goes but I think I will be getting the studs befor the trip to Erie this year.

On a good note, I was able to get the Korkers through a Flyshop in Lancaster that supports our TU chapter.

Yes, I am pretty pumped about the set up...

Thanks everyone for the advice, and experience.

Maurice

JDemko wrote:
Can anyone tell me some quality waders that work well in winter.. prefferably on the cheaper side..

Well JD, depends on what you define as cheap. To me that is under $100. There are lots of neoprene waders out there for $100 or less if you just plan to use them in winter. But I would go with a bootfoot breathable for the $130-150 range unless you do alot of fishin and hiking the bootfoot may not be right for you. But now you are into more cost.

Maurice

Looks like a good boot for you, lots of rubber around the toes, can't go wrong with the Oriis waders...good price!

PaulG

Somebody (Maurice maybe..) mentioned having trouble with the Weinbrenner Borger shoes. I would have had trouble believing it if the same thing had not happened to me with a pair I bought in Sept. of 06. They're coming apart at the seams. Unreal.. I bought a pair when they first came out, shortly after the meteorite took out the dinosaurs, and they lasted for 4 years of heavy service. No more though.

On waders, I too have the Bean waders mentioned earlier in the thread. They're OK, but leaked in both heels the first season. I don't spend that much time in full waders anyway. With my inner ear problems, I have no business being any deeper than my waist. So, these days I wear out a pair of the Hodgeman guide pants every year. At 89-99 bucks a pair, it's enough but not too bad.

This next season though, I'm trying an experiment. I'm gonna buy a pair of the Cabelas 3 Forks waders for 50 bucks and then take them to the little Korean lady that does Pentunia's dry cleaning and have her convert them into waist highs. They ought to be bullet proof and as waist highs, I don't care if they aren't breathable.

Mo wrote:

“I have looked hard at the Orvis Guide Series and like the sale price but the color...YUK!”

Mo, I know you are concerned about your waders clashing with your fly fishing attire, but don’t worry, you’ll still be stylin on the stream, no matter what color you wear.

At the $200 sale price, the Orvis Pro Guides are a great value for a great wader. They ARE a little on the heavy side for summer, but overall they are the best wader I have worn to date. In addition, Orvis has great customer service and will stand behind their products if they fail.

Good luck with the waders.

Afish,

I am over the color thingy...after realizing they are tan and my monitor is shot. Anyway, I still don't like tan either but life is full of compromises. I think Tan is too light a color for fishing. I am an olive or brown guy.

RLP,

It was me with the Weinnebrenners. They are junk. Just to restate the facts on the desintegration of an american made brogue. After 1 year of hard service (as some would say) they began to come apart at the seams, toes, etc. I contacted their factory Customer Service department with hi res pictures. and they got back to me saying "they were out of warranty but may be able to be repaired" I was irritated that I paid $150 for something that fell apart in a year but figured I'd give them the benefit of the doubt and sent the boots back ($13.00) out of pocket. They didn't respond for a week so I emailed again and they said "they had them there and looked at them and sent them back already" with a note: "These boots are too far gone for repair."

I was furious that I had to spend $13 more dollars for them to put the nail in their customer service shingle.

In the end, I sewed the toe on them and since then gooped them up and am still wearing them. I gooped them agian today. In fact the goop is still drying on my fingers as I type this. The studs are great and the support as well. It is just Weinnebrenners workmanship and customer service SUCK!

thanks for giving me the opportunity to blow my horn for them again. :-x

Here is the weinnebrenners after 12 months of wear. (60-70 days on the water) Also check out how the left boot lace rings don't line up. If I had sent this issue to Orvis or Bean I would have been apologized to ad nasium. In fact i believe they would have never shipped them in the first place. Whatever. I am moving past this....until the next time.

Maurice;
You're surely "not the first" to complain about Weinnebrenners; "shoes, and/or, service"! I've tried two pairs, of their boots over the years, (OBVIOUSLY, being a slow learner) and had trouble with both pair either just "falling apart, slowly" after a short while, or, merely "blowing up, like a bomb", all at once. Naturally, each instance was "MY fault" in some way.

With the length of time I've been wading, like others here, I've tried an awful lots of boots. Orvis.. as already been stated, stands behind their products very, very well. But so does "Korker", brand of boots and if you've never had any, or tried them out, I'd suggest them wholeheartedly.

I have the "multi-soles" model of Korker boots and have worn them, now, for 5 years and that's fishing about 130 to 160-some days a year, with them. I think I FINALLY was able to "scuff" one of them, after this amount of wear and tear! Plus, being able to "switch from felt, to hiking sole, back again, or to a felt/spike or spikes only", I really like, when fishing and walking on an all day trip.

I also love the Chota "boot foot" wader/boot, combo. Their all rubber/neoprene boot construction is second to none for comfort and so far, (after a few years), they've held up extremely well with no rips, tears, or, leaks.

I am surprised to hear about the problems with weinbrenner boots.
I had a pair I bought 15 -20 years ago - called Borger boots - and they lasted me a good 5 years of hard fishing. And even then, they were still in decent ship, although most of the felt had worn off. I would have bought them again, but they were a little on the a heavy side, and not real confortable. They were also american made, which I guess like everything else, they're now made over seas.

dryflyguy wrote:
I am surprised to hear about the problems with weinbrenner boots.
I had a pair I bought 15 -20 years ago - called Borger boots - and they lasted me a good 5 years of hard fishing. And even then, they were still in decent ship, although most of the felt had worn off. I would have bought them again, but they were a little on the a heavy side, and not real confortable. They were also american made, which I guess like everything else, they're now made over seas.

Nope, they are still American made....have a US flag right on the tongue. Thats a big reason why I bought them actually. They are the Gary Borger, ULTIMATE wading shoe. Yeah right?!?

Flybinder, Which Korkers did you have? I am going with the Korkers. I decided on the Streamborn model, I listed a link above. Is it worth the extra $30 for the Guide model?

Mo,

I got a pair of Korkers Wetland boots this past spring (now a discontinued model). I've been very pleased with them and I'm sure you'll like the Streamborn model. I've been mostly using the studded aquastealth sole for mine. Looks like that sole isn't an option for your model. Are you leaning towards the studded felt or the monster studded rubber soles?

Greg,

I didn't realize the Aquastealth w/studs was unavalable. Shoot. For now I am going to give the felts a try but I know I will be wantin studs....More to ponder....

Maurice;
I wear the "Outfitter" model.
I also just checked Korker's web site, (because I couldn't remember, the name of my boot model!, I've just always called them "Larry") and saw that they're having a "2006 close out sale" for 25% off on these wading boots. ( www.korkers.com ).

The "Outfitter", comes standard with 2 pairs of soles....... 1ea. Felt pair & 1ea. Hiking Boot sole. After those, 2, there's about 6 more combos of soles to choose from, at about $30.00 a pair.

I was asked to try out these boots, when they very first came out, so was also given all the different soles to try, too. Studded Aqua Stealth, studded felts, straight studs, straight felt, the "Boat Deck" sole", etc. etc. the only sole, I would NOT recommend, is the straight Aqua Stealth sole.

I've heard a lot of hype on this "new rubber technology", as being "as good, if not better then, felt", and so on, but I've worn both-L.L. Bean's, Aqua Stealth and the Korker ones and spent more time on my BUTT, in ice cold water, than I ever did standing upright! Now, coupled with STUDS, which I also have, Aqua Stealth seems to work very well. (Korker's brand).

If you want to go "up in price a few pennies", then their "Guiide Model" is a really well made and VERY comfortable boot. These have 6, different, soles available for them. I've worn my "Outfitters" for over 5 years now, and just tried out the new "Guide model", this past season. But, I'll be wearing them, Steelheading all this winder, too, so that should really be the test for these new boots.

Nope, "I don't work for Korkers"!! And, no, I don't get paid to endorse anything they make! But a fishing buddy of mine, owns a fly shop and he asks me to try out new products, since I fish a hair more than the average Joe, I guess. So, "MY opinions" on things, like these Korker boots, are just that........... "MY" opinions, only Maurice!!

So, I was sold on the Korker boots, ONLY because I hate bruises, twisted ankles and having a sore butt, for half a season from slipping and falling down!! :lol:

I had bad luck with Hodgman and Cabelas waders. I bought a pair of Simms, not the extremely expensive ones but some that cost around $230 or so, which seems like a lot to me. But they lasted a full season without leaking, which is a first for me.

I've heard that the Dan Bailey waders are good and reasonably priced. Has anyone had experience with these?

A tip to make your waders last longer. Make sure that your wading shoes fit properly. If they are too tight, that is bad of course. But if they are too loose, then the foot will slop around inside the wading shoe and wear out the neoprene at the heel and you get a leak at the heel that is hard to repair.

So take time in trying on wading shoes with the waders and socks etc. that you will be wearing and get the fit right. The sizing of wading shoes varies a lot. Sometimes they size them quite big, and your normal shoe size will be too large, so you may need to go a size smaller than your normal shoe size.

If your one foot is slightly bigger than the other, like me, then it gets even trickier. :-0

Troutbert

I had Dan Bailey waders for three years now, best waders I've ever owned.

I know a couple other friends that have them and are very pleased with them!

PaulG

I have a pair of the korkers guides- my only knock is that are not as supportive as some other boots. If you really look for support in the ankle there are others. I really need superior support due to my weight.

Back