Valley Creek Dry Fly Fishing

FlyFisherMin

FlyFisherMin

Has anyone fly fished dry flies, specifically terrestrials, in Valley Creek? If so any advice? Like what tippet, what fly and where to fish them. Any advice would be great :)

tie on whatever terrestrial you get from Dick's onto 4x-6x and cast fly into likely spots...repeat until trout eats. check water temp threads about valley...not ideal to fish it now.

Fished Valley Creek this morning.
Water temp. 62 - 64 various checks.
My day started off with some kind of a camp with 20 kids with nets wadding right through my spot so I fished downstream against the banks in still water until the crew took off.
I had a little Brown take my Beatle with an Al's rat dropped off on 6x about 12 inches back. (he took the A Rat) size 26.
I moved back to my original drift and started getting takes on a small Brown Ant and only landed one before I had to go. They were rising aggressively and being inexperienced I missed a few. Saw plenty of fish including a few nice ones.

FlyFisherMin,

I just sent you a PM.

Didn't get one

FFM - I only ffish dry on Valley. I need to recheck my computer records but I don't think I've been skunked for several years, and I rarely put in more than several hours at a time, if that. The last two sessions this week I was surprised how well small ants worked, being this late in the season.

tl
les

Ants are hardy they are one of the last insects to go into "hibernation" also this time of year they migrate towards the areas where they are gonna spend the winter away from summer areas where they are interested in food and reproduction. I love fishing with ants , trout seem to know they are gone before we do.

Back