Valley Creek and Strike Indicators

Thanks folks. All of this is very helpful. Another question - should I cut off the welded loop on my fly line and use a nail knot to attach the leader or just use the handshake loop knot and call it a day? Word on the street is that the welded loop is for wimps and, more importantly, looks unnatural and will spook the fish.

I'd leave the welded loop. I've always used them and never had a problem.

The loop to loop connection for the leader may in part be for wimps avoiding tying a nail knot, but it works just as well as a nail knot and is a heck of a lot easier to tie and deal with. You also aren't continually trimming back the head of your fly line as you attach new leaders. I use loop style connections for all my leader to fly line connections.

No sense in worrying about the welded loop spooking fish more than a nail knot. I don't think there's a difference, but even if there was...If you're fishing in conditions where you need to worry about little things like that spooking them, in most cases you will have already spooked the fish before the line hits the water anyway. Either before you casted, or during your cast...regardless of your line to leader connection of choice.

Great, thanks. I'm not scared of the nail knot and actually rather enjoy knot tying...which is a weird thing to express...but if it doesn't make much of a difference why bother. And yeah, my garbage casting and sloshing around will spook the fish long before my knot selection.

Oh - and is an early morning essential here? It seems like water temp is king and given that tomorrow's high it just about 60 and it's been pretty chilly, any time of day would likely be fine?

Thank you for all the great posts in this thread.

bsullivan wrote:
Oh - and is an early morning essential here? It seems like water temp is king and given that tomorrow's high it just about 60 and it's been pretty chilly, any time of day would likely be fine?

Any time should be fine. Just keep in mind that as you get into the prime time of the day there will be more anglers out, and if you're fishing behind them they may have spooked some fish.

Well that was a fairly demoralizing first go of it. Lost two flies (which the gents at TCO told me was actually pretty low for the Valley) and...accidentally, stupidly broke my rod, and just as I felt like I was hitting my stride. Did not come close to catching a fish but had fun putzing around. Thing I need - tons of casting practice and probably a one day school to properly teach me how to do this correctly, and to load up on flies and some other basic supplies. Gotta keep at it.

bsullivan wrote:
Well that was a fairly demoralizing first go of it. Lost two flies (which the gents at TCO told me was actually pretty low for the Valley) and...accidentally, stupidly broke my rod, and just as I felt like I was hitting my stride. Did not come close to catching a fish but had fun putzing around. Thing I need - tons of casting practice and probably a one day school to properly teach me how to do this correctly, and to load up on flies and some other basic supplies. Gotta keep at it.

I hope you have been able to get into fish on valley since then. It used to be my home water till I moved to LA. Try going micro sz20 and smaller. I will use 3 flies in difffernt patterns with amazing success on valley. I go with a 9’ 6x hand built leader, to 3’ of 7x floro to a dbl tungsten sz20 nymph I tie, then a trailing midge or midge emerger pattern. I use literally a small flies worth of poly floss tied into my leader as a sighafter or indi if the situation allows. Valley gets hit hard, trying flies smaller then “shop bought” variety will yield success on valley. Your approach and cast are very important on valley. I’ve caught some monster 18”+ browns in the park. From my experience on average the larger the nymph the smaller the fish, smaller the fly larger the fish. I hope the pod under the 202 bridge is still sipping midges. You have like 1-2 casts on them before they dive.

I hope you have been able to get into fish on valley since then.
From my experience on average the larger the nymph the smaller the fish, smaller the fly larger the fish. I hope the pod under the 202 bridge is still sipping midges. You have like 1-2 casts on them before they dive. [/quote]

that's very interesting. that is almost completely opposite of my experience.

when i first started fishing valley,i used small nymphs and beadheads.i caught a lot of small fish.

for years i have been fishing it with bigger flies and catch decent size fish. i have never caught the 18" fish you speak of,but,most i catch are 8-14"

i use flies from 14 up to size eight. i would use larger,but,a size six can damage a trout.

shakey wrote:

I hope you have been able to get into fish on valley since then.
From my experience on average the larger the nymph the smaller the fish, smaller the fly larger the fish. I hope the pod under the 202 bridge is still sipping midges. You have like 1-2 casts on them before they dive.

that's very interesting. that is almost completely opposite of my experience.

when i first started fishing valley,i used small nymphs and beadheads.i caught a lot of small fish.

for years i have been fishing it with bigger flies and catch decent size fish. i have never caught the 18" fish you speak of,but,most i catch are 8-14"

i use flies from 14 up to size eight. i would use larger,but,a size six can damage a trout.[/quote]

Go deep, light tippet, and think micro and be prepared to loose a lot of flies to get the drift into those areas. I have not fished valley in 4 years, but I would assume they are still in the general vacinity. If you spend enough time on valley, put in the time, and target those specific areas it will be very rewarding. What I was stating was only in the park, I have caught larger Browns outside of the park area. If you talk to the regulars on valley from this board from the last 10 years, I am sure many of them will vouch for what I am saying. One of the largest browns I ever caught on valley was a 24 rs2. I am sure streamer fishing, and the larger flies with proper drift will produce larger fish on valley. But I found micro to not disturb the fish as much as a 14-16. Especially if you are using a 2 fly rig, with beads, and a long French style leader. I found the >12” browns would take my sz18-20 nymph, while the larger brownies would take the 22-26 midge. But that is only my experience on valley, and how I fish.

bsullivan wrote;

It seems obvious now that 15' of leader/tippet is far too much. Duh.

It all depends on where you are fishing, the clarity of the water, and whether or not the trout are ultra selective and spooky. I rarely fish a leader less than 12' and often fish a 16' leader. But I fish large rivers where 40' - 50' casts are normal and often I might throw further. I've never fished Valley Creek but from what I've read it is a smaller water. On streams no more than 25' wide and one with a canopy of trees overhead you will do fine with a 9' 5X leader or maybe even a 7 1/2' tapered leader will suffice. You will know when you see how the trout react to your leader length. If you make a good cast that lands softly and the fish bolt you probably need more than a 7 1/2' leader.

wbranch wrote:
bsullivan wrote;

It seems obvious now that 15' of leader/tippet is far too much. Duh.

It all depends on where you are fishing, the clarity of the water, and whether or not the trout are ultra selective and spooky. I rarely fish a leader less than 12' and often fish a 16' leader. But I fish large rivers where 40' - 50' casts are normal and often I might throw further. I've never fished Valley Creek but from what I've read it is a smaller water. On streams no more than 25' wide and one with a canopy of trees overhead you will do fine with a 9' 5X leader or maybe even a 7 1/2' tapered leader will suffice. You will know when you see how the trout react to your leader length. If you make a good cast that lands softly and the fish bolt you probably need more than a 7 1/2' leader.

It can get really overgrown up there, but you can find some very rewarding fish up there. I’ve caught and seen some large browns. I’ll take a 6’6 2 wt for valley.

I've found orris stick on indicators the best for light presentations, only downside is you can't change depth.

Back