Upper D - first week of august

Soaring Eagle right by Kellams Bridge (maybe 3 miles above Callicoon). It's on the PA side.

We ended up getting a camping res. at Landers which i believe is on the NY side. They allow booze and partying though which sold me immediately :)

Its down closer to Narrowsburg a little south from where we were talkin before but we can drive north and drop in and float back down too so i am not super concerned with camping location

Well it sounds like you're primarily focused on warmwater species like smallies and walleye, both of which exist in very good numbers from probably Port Jervis up to Callicoon or so. That being the case I wouldn't worry too much about "trout" flies and instead I'd focus on throwing large woolly buggers, zonkers, krayfish patterns and other streamers.

Timmy,

Just got back from the upper D. The fishing was extremely technical. The hatches of sulphurs were strong and you better have good patterns in sizes 20 and even down to 22. The fish were sporadic some of the time. Saturday had great hatches but not many rising fish. It got better sunday and monday. We caught some really nice fish but we really had to work for them. None of them came easy.

These were some of the pickiest fish I ever fished over. I had several fish actually nose my fly to check and see if it was real or not. A few also took the fly and immediately spit it out. Long leaders and tippet are a must. Good luck.

J,

I understand there were psuedos on the eater recently which ate easily masked by sulphurs. I finally getting back up 1st week of August. Sounds like I'll be nymphing and blind casting an isosarus. Not sure I'm all that into #22's on a 20' leader when it's a 99.99% refusal rate.

mcwillja wrote:
Timmy,

Just got back from the upper D. The fishing was extremely technical. The hatches of sulphurs were strong and you better have good patterns in sizes 20 and even down to 22. The fish were sporadic some of the time. Saturday had great hatches but not many rising fish. It got better sunday and monday. We caught some really nice fish but we really had to work for them. None of them came easy.

These were some of the pickiest fish I ever fished over. I had several fish actually nose my fly to check and see if it was real or not. A few also took the fly and immediately spit it out. Long leaders and tippet are a must. Good luck.

That sounds like business as usual on the delaware

Andy,

There were some pseudos but not many where we were fishing. The sulphurs were ridiculously small. I did do ok on a size 20 and i did actually tie some 22s last year and caught a fish on one. My biggest fish (20.5 inches) came on a size 16 sulphur dun during a blanket size 20/22 hatch. We did see a few bigger sulphurs and occassionally fish eating them when they came done.

These were the pickiest eaters I came across in my years of fishing down there. I did manage a few nymphing in the mornings which was fun. The hatching is still going strong and hopefully more fish work the bugs because there was a lot of 1 and done rises too which was frustrating. Now that the flow is consistent maybe the fish will stay in their lanes and feed more regular.

Good luck and you should do well nymphing. I did get one take on an Iso as well.

When they are sitting there with a conveyor belt of #22's going by, I'll serve the a #10 iso. It will be a complete ignore or a complete annihilation.

Definetely a good move, I would also recommend a big sulphur as well. some nice fish were picking them off. The fish I caught hit it like an Iso

Sounds like i'll have quite the challenge on my hands if i decide to head a bit north and trout fish. I can't catch fish on 10 ft leaders in places you guys think are easy to fish half the time.

Mcjwilla, were you floating or wading? I think i'll probably smallie/walleye fish for two days and possibly head out for trout on the third day, just for the experience.

Tim,

J wades 99% of the time and I float 99% of the time. I just got a text from the nephew so I'll have a 14 yr old to babysit. You are welcome to join us or stop by the motel any evening. I'll share info from our day on the water. Bad thing about the Delaware....what happens Monday has zero to do with what will occur on Tuesday. It's always different. If you can cast accurately 35-40', you can catch some. It's more observing than fishing though.

I was wading. if you can float it may be an advantage. It's helps to be able to cover water to find fish that are working. Andy is right about the conditions. I was there for 4 days and everday was different, even the timing of the hatches was a little off depending on the weather.

This past weekend. The West Branch well downstream from the no kill (below Balls). Saturday 1-4pm. In the bright sun; in knee deep water and the fishing was pretty good. The fish were looking up. The bugs were large and the fish were blasting in the chop. 4x. You can have that Deposit techo stuff. The system is HUGE so get out and explore. There is a learning curve but it can be rewarding.

vcregular wrote:
This past weekend. The West Branch well downstream from the no kill (below Balls). Saturday 1-4pm. In the bright sun; in knee deep water and the fishing was pretty good. The fish were looking up. The bugs were large and the fish were blasting in the chop. 4x. You can have that Deposit techo stuff. The system is HUGE so get out and explore. There is a learning curve but it can be rewarding.

There ya go! I love days like that.

VC

Did you have some Iso action downriver?

Just thought I would share a couple fish we caught last week fishing the upper west. The fishing was tough up there but persistence paid off. Leaders of 16 feet or longer were required and the sulphurs were as small as size 22. I really enjoy this type of fishing for some reason. It can be maddening at times but also rewarding when it comes together.

Attachments

• IMGP0832.JPG
    IMGP0832.JPG
    413.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMGP0833.JPG
    IMGP0833.JPG
    396.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMGP0835.JPG
    IMGP0835.JPG
    409.1 KB · Views: 3
If you intend to go up this weekend and haven't booked a room, you may not find one within 40 miles of Hancock. It's "parents weekend" for summer camp, a hare scramble mx race in town and neck car at Pocono. Weather looks promising but I don't like the fact they just dropped the release.

Yeah why did they drop the release. That is not good. Steady flow = steady hatches and the reservoir is over 93% full. Water should not be an issue. If I make it down this weekend (not looking good at the moment) I will let you know. PM me your phone number just in case. This is my last chance for a few weeks to get down there but the wifey may put the brakes on this trip.

MC. Just a handful of Isos but they would eat them in the riffs if you prospected. The large bug I was referring to is some sort of steno. Mottled wings and something like a cahill.

I completely 100% agree with your comment about long leaders. My leaders sometimes get to the point where they are pushing 18' on that system. Long leaders allow for long drifts and maximum time for your fly to be on the water. Good luck if you hit it.

gotcha thanks. I know what bug you mean and i believe you are correct they are stenos.

Back