Tying dries: take-up from the tie or buy thread

Idk what it is with me and dries.. I just can't tie comparaduns, parachutes, etc. I shouldn't say I necessarily CAN'T, its just that I'm a freak with quality, and if they aren't fly shop quality, I don't fish them. I wish I could learn to tie them like that, I just don't have a lot of motivation.

LRSABecker wrote:
I like tying dries, but I can not find myself a good set of hackle pliers! Nothing holds well for me and it drives me nuts when your on your last wrap and the hackle comes out.

Thats the way it is, always when your ready to tie off, or the hackle breaks, your not alone. I have the non slip type of rotory hackle pliers and they still do it. But I still get them tied. Thats not as bad as tying off your hackle and accidently cutting your thread when trying to trim it.

All of the above. Actually I have the least amount of trouble with the hackle. it's getting the head to close to the eye I always seem to have trouble. with. I don't tie enough.

I've been pretty much tying only dry flys since I took my tying class - almost 30 years ago now.
Never really had any problems getting them the way I wanted. When you concentrate on drys, I guess it makes things a bit easier.

IMO, the hardest style to tie are parachutes. I'm still not crazy about tying them in the smaller sizes - #20 and down. Definitely takes a lot of "touch "to do those.

As for hackling, I still have many instances where the hackle breaks - or the pliers slip off - right when I go to tie the stem down.
However, I just purchased new kind of hackle pliers, that have a spring in them to ease the tension. Made by a company called Stonfo - I believe from Italy.
Anyway, I tied a few #20 BWO's with them the other night, and the results were pretty encouraging. But I still need to get the feel of this new tool.

As for divided wings - I never liked tying matched mallard quill sections. That is definitely a PIA. And they're not very durable to fish with. I quit using those kind of wings after a few years, and started using turkey flats instead. A lot easier, more durable, and they look great.
Calf hair also makes a great wing, and I use it on larger flies

Hackles give me the most trouble. it seems every time I get near the end the hackles are pointing more towards the front of the fly instead of straight up in the air. Then I try to push them back as I am tying off. I also end up with the head to close to the eye also. Am I making to many wraps with the hackle.

sniperfreak223 wrote:
FarmerDave wrote:
MKern wrote:
I'm surprized at the hackles as a response. I would have though for-sure the wings would have been everyones' reason.

I agree with that. I don't like the wings either on hacked flies and often leave them off. I'm not convinced that they help catch more fish. they are more for the anglers approval than they are for the fish's approval. Damn things are tough to get aligned right, get in the way when adding the hackle and sometimes cause the fly to spin during casting, too.

That is why I don't mind tying dry flies. I usually leave the wings off.

C'mon, are wings really that hard? they never gave me a problem (except for upright divided quill wings, they took a while...), and the only wingless dries I tie now are midges

The upright divided wings are the ones I was talking about as in for example an Adams, but I don't like tying the spinners, either.

Why do we need an upright divided winged fly anyway. What real fly looks like that. Mayblies are upright and not divided, or they are 180 degrees on a spinner. Caddis are tent wing as are stoneflies. I can't think of a single bug that when at rest it has its wings upright and apart.

I say it is for the angler not the fish.

pcray1231 wrote:
The difficult dries for me are .... Spinners...

Seriously? It's just a group of fibers lashed to a hook (I use HI VIS). If you can dub, you can tie a spinner. I think they might be among the quickest and easiest flies to tie, I spend more time on the tails than anything else on them.

My hackles look like bird's nests, fibers going every which way, not neat at all. Maybe its the materials....

Yea, I know. They should be easy. But i don't like doing the wings. Probably because i haven't tied many. I've only tied a few and they never come out right for me.

I don't like doing the feather wings in general, and yes, I have wing burners and all that. On let's say... an adams. The first thing to fall off is the wing anyway, so I just leave it off.

Caddis are the dominant hatches just about anywhere I fish anyway, and I have no problem with down wing or even tent wing. And when I go to a place like Penns, I'll often go with a caddis even if the drakes are hatching. It is something different than everyone else is using and caddis are everywhere. I've only fishd Penns twice and haven't been skunked. not bad for a guy whou used to fish for just the native brookies.

As far as your hackles go, it is probably either the quality, or you are trying to use too much hackle. But does it really matter? I'm betting yours work just fine. I've tied many like that in the past, and they still caught fish.

The way I see it, ... whether it is cooking or tying flies, recipes are just suggestions. You aren't baking cakes here. You are making something to entice a fish.

Take the adams for example. I usually don't bother with the brown hackle and use just the grizzly.

And for FrequentTyer... Isn't Marinaro a type of sauce for over pasta?;-)

Seriously... I don't care all that much what the experts say. I do respect them and their opinion, but to me it's just fishing and I feel better figuring it out on my own. I do tie some with wings, but often I leave them off. It probably makes a difference in slower water, but not in the faster water (IMO). I have some very realistic flies for the calm water when the situation arrises. they tend to be more fragile flies, so I don't use them for most of my fishing. I do what I like to do even if it doesn't make sense to someone else. The less tying articles and books I read the better off I probably am. I learned the basics and just went from there. I don't even own a rotating vice. I feel that I don't "need" one. I've used one before and they are cool, but all the more I tie? I don't need to spend any more money on tying tools.

I wasn't even going to respond to this message, but I figured I'd add a different perspective. I realize I am not typical.

I work with a guy who's dad was kind of famous in the fly fishing world (but I'm not a name dropper). He was an expert tyer and his flies were always in demand. He passed away a few years back. I never met the guy, but he knew through his son that I was into fly fishing. So occasionally he would give me flies (through his son). After he died, his mon started getting rid of his massive amount of supplies. She gave some to her son to distribute to his friends. I got a couple of necks and another handful of flies. There was one or two woven body flies in there too. Now that looks difficult.

My flies look sick next to his. I'll never use those flies, but I do often pull them out to try and imitate.

i also had a chance to buy his old LH Leonard bamboo rod, but I wimped out on that.

Crotalus wrote:
Switching from Metz to Whiting was a real turning point for me when it came to dries.

The Whiting saddles (and 100s) are a real pleasure to tie with.

I am to the point with EHC i think it is the hair that i have that is giving me problems. I have worked at it enough that the hair no longer spins, but it just doesn't have a nice profile. I think the hair is too coarse.

That very well could be the problem. some works better than others. Probably depends on what part of the animal the hair came from.

jdaddy wrote:
FD, it would seem that wool wing on a caddis would sink like a rock? No? I assume its the same material (wool duh) used in sculpins and whatnot?

It would seem... I believe that was the words that I and a few others used when Jeff described it to me.

Spray it with a littke silicone spray after you tie it, but I can't say this is required.

the fly will eventually start sinking (as it will with most emerger patterns), but with the wool, do a couple false casts, and it will float for a couple more drifts. Of course I'm using the word "float" a little loosely. They do ride low in the film, not up high and dry like a brand new EHC.

If you wre seeing swirls at your fly and not catching the fish, switch to something that rides low in the film.

Keep in mind I am no expert, and I probably haven't fished for trout more than a dozen times in the past 5 years or so. So take any adivce from me with a grain of salt. I used to fish for trout a lot, many many years ago, but not so much anymore.

Give it a try and see what you think.

Dave,
You mention the divided wings above...
If it is a newly hatched insect, it could represent the fluttering of wings.

Other than that, I aggree that the wings are together. This is another reason I think parachutes most resemble the real thing.

I have begun to experiment with trude style hairwings, though I tie them more upright than a traditional trude.

I feel that it's a much more realistic imitation of mayfly wings than upright clumps of feathers hidden behind hackle.

That said, I tend to use the mayfly on my arm as a reference, and maybe the wings go too far back. :)

I like it. Looks like some of my elk hair caddis only with a little shorter wing and a tail.

Excellent. I'll give it a shot tonight. Thanks.

FarmerDave wrote:

And for FrequentTyer... Isn't Marinaro a type of sauce for over pasta?;-)

That kinda made me sad.

FarmerDave wrote:
Seriously... I don't care all that much what the experts say. I do respect them and their opinion, but to me it's just fishing and I feel better figuring it out on my own.

Fair enough, but I still highly recommend looking at his pictures.

Back