Tying Books

mcgraw10

mcgraw10

Does anyone have any good suggestions for some good tying books? I am starting to get into tying a little more seriously and was looking to pick up a couple of good books.

It pains me to say this, but fly tying books are not near as valuable and informative as the www....IMHO!

The Internet offers tutorials, pics, and even videos of any fly you care to tie. If you want to learn to tie, say a pheasant tail nymph as an example, just Google it:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=pheasant+tail+nymph+tying+instructions

Pics, tutorials, videos.....

Books look nicer on your desk though! ;-)

Good luck.

"Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying" is a good book for beginners. You should also look into fly tying courses offer by Trout Unlimited chapters and or local fly shops.

Agree with afish. Tying books are more aesthetically pleasing than they are useful.

If you insist upon a book, I recommend this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Orvis-Fly-Tying-Guide-Tom-Rosenbauer/dp/1592281214

Mcgraw you just getting started?

Yeah, I have been doing a little tying for about 5 months but I want to start getting a little more seriously. I have definitely been checking out the web but thought reading a few books may help as well.

Try and find yourself one of the free tying classes at a local fly shop or local TU. I wish I would have dont that a few years back when I started! They can really help with explaining materials and techniques! Youtube is pretty nice though!

I got started tying earlier this year and found this book to be an invaluable resource. It describes recipes on the top half of the split pages and techniques on the bottom.

Highly recommended!

http://flyanglersonline.com/flytying/beginners/

This is a pretty good site!

Alpa, thanks. I just took a look at the website and it looks like a great site for the basics.

The book wgmiller linked to Amazon is really good. Great format, great reference.

Attachments

• Benchside.jpg
    Benchside.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 4
+1 for online resources as well.

On YouTube, I really enjoy David McPhail. He's a MARVELOUS tier, and a very good teacher too. It's nice to be able to see someone actually tie the fly. You can learn a lot about method and technique from watching someone that you can't learn in a book. Watching Davie's videos taught me how to properly whip finish a fly. There is NO way a book could have taught me that.

The nice thing about YouTube, or online in general, is that you can post questions, and generally get a response. Then those questions, plus others questions, are publicly available for all to read, further growing the knowledge base on the subject.

TCO Fly Shop's as well as Trout Predator Online (TPO) videos are very good as well, although TPO needs to do something about his audio.

One of the major benefits to online resources is the availability, both good and bad, of information. You can simply Google any recipe you'd like and generally you get a bunch of relevant information. With a book, you're limited to the printed recipes.

Another big factor, is cost. Online resources are free. And they're dynamic. You can find cutting edge patterns and materials online, while a book is stuck in a time bubble based on when it was published.

It's just my opinion, but I learned how to tie by only using online resources. I've never felt like it's hindered my abilities or haven't been able to find a recipe.

I bought my Dad The Fly Tier's Benchside Reference when he started tying flies but the Benchside Intro is also a good book. However, I just use online sources for patterns.

Joe E

I second youtube. Something as simple as starting your thread on a hook can be confusing to write in a book, or show in a diagram, but on a video it is very simple. It's the same for all techniques. I think it's much easier to see how to do something on a video overally. I second Davie McPhail. His ties are fantastic and he's always pushing the limits of new and different ways to tie. You'll spend hours on there looking things over so just start with some basic patterns and move on from there.

Online is where I have picked up most of the things I have done so far. I thought I was missing out on some valuable information provided in some wonderful book some where. I will just stick with what I am doing now. It really is a great feeling watching a fish take a fly you tied yourself.

There is no substitute for lessons. Find some and take them.

The big Benchside is invaluable but not a pattern book but technique guide.

mcgraw10 wrote:
Online is where I have picked up most of the things I have done so far. I thought I was missing out on some valuable information provided in some wonderful book some where. I will just stick with what I am doing now. [color=990000]It really is a great feeling watching a fish take a fly you tied yourself.[/color]

You got it!

The absolute best is finding an experienced tyer and working with them, but online works fine.

Good luck with your tying.

I have three books and the only one I use it "Mayflies". I don't use it for the patterns, but the pictures and descriptions of how the insects act.

I use this info. to base my tying.

Also, check your local library; the books are free there.

(Side note: James V. Brown Library in Williamsport has a huge fly fishing section)

Back