TU Stocking

SBecker

SBecker

Quote:

LRSABecker wrote:
No I am not against stocking, but all of you hard core TU guys yelling about us. Then I hear about how many of the TU's stock, just find it very odd.

It's not ok if you do it, but it is ok if we do it. Quote/

Quote: Daddio wrote: I am not aware of anyone representing TU yelling at the LRSA. Start another thread to discuss as this thread has been pretty jacked. Quote/

DAddio, Your right no one representing TU complains, it's just the guys that are part of TU complaining. I would think if you would be complaining about the LRSA stocking you might want to look at your own organization first?

I'd edit and give a little background, so that other posters can weigh in on the matter. I would cite specific issues and narrow the complaint.

The law should specify Pelagic rainbows only can be stocked by private groups/individuals in public water.

I see no problem with stocking the Lehigh River. That's the kind of place trout should be stocked. Rather than in the wild trout streams.

Ahh see now your going to run into the problem that the Lehigh does have a wild trout population arguement.

My God Becker, that looks like Pete quoting (no offense Pete, hell you acknowledge and own it). Anyway, I was trying to get you to express your specific concerns. Which "hard core TU guys" are giving the LRSA a hard time? And on what matters?

Below is a run on diatribe. It is my opinion on the issues at hand for the LRSA as I see them. I also include actions/discussions that you post as you are the sole representative on here and you are a huge supporter. Understand anything I say here is to help you out. Don't take it personally.

Frankly, I believe that the Lehigh River Stocking Association suffers from image issues that draw certain amounts of heat, some warranted and some unwarranted. I go back to your joining and very first post of this forum. You can in responding to a discussion between Alpabuck and I regarding the LRSA and their metal stringer brigade. Now, I did not know you, Alpa or anyone else. I was just a guy that fished the Po twice and each time ran into to LRSA "conservationist" that engaged me in conversation. The first event was a gentleman with a metal stringer literally hanging from his wading belt. He is the guy that plastered our car with flyers. Very odd guy but hey he was passionate about STOCKING the Po. My second encounter was with another LRSA gentleman that was telling me about the benefits of LRSA. I think Redsun was with me on that trip. The guy scared Nate. He literally had torn the arms out of his shirt, smoked a pack a minute (flicking the butts in the stream) and talked incessantly about LRSA, all the stocking and how I would get a button. Again, very strange guy and very aggressive in promoting the LRSA. He was having a stellar day, throwing meal worms with split shot into the spillway below the Parryville dam and had creeled two 18" or so browns into his metal basket thingy.

Hey those guys were passionate about their beliefs and frankly if they were targeting the market right, they would have been effective. I would suggest that they would qualify their potential candidates a bit better. For good or bad, fly fishermen in general are pretty into the whole C&R thing and are going to be put off by metal stringers and metal baskets full of fish.

You on the other hand are a very passionate and solid representative for the association. You have taken folks out and introduced them to the Lehigh watershed. I appreciate the work you are doing, particularly the conservation work, but including the stocking. I think that you find yourself in spirited debate when you start talking about hypotheticals that are dependent upon other hypotheticals. For example the studies into the removal of dams on the Lehigh river system to restore shad runs. Fine. A lot of folks are going to say that is pie in the sky and will never happen, but hey it surely will not happen if you don't try and open the lines of communication. However, to go one step further and start talking about stocking steel and atlantics is just opening yourself for criticism (of both you personally and the LRSA since you are speaking as a representative and board member). Get the dams taken care of, check out the shad thing. If those are successful, then move on to other activities. If that includes potentially stocking steel and atlantics, then by all means get your facts together, get support from PFBC (you gonna need it) and have a reasonable proposition together prior to popping online and firing off some pretty radical stuff. In the thread regarding the steel/salmon you cite Dr. (x), where you don't have the name of the guy, much less his credentials. This is just going to open you up to criticism and skepticism. Hey, the PFBC is going to have to sanction and support this effort, so get some of their biologist backing you up. Makes you and the LRSA much more credible.

Again, the biggest thing is image. Look at the LRSA website. Seriously right now. Go to the front page. I have attached a photo. In small letters you have a decent mission statement, but who cares look at the big all caps LUNKER FEST stuff! I gotta look there. Screw the mission statement. So you have my attention. What I get is there is a LUNKER FEST where we pay $15 to enter to win prizes based upon the size of my catch. I have spot burn maps of where I can catch those lunkers. Below I read about Fall winning raffle items (congrats on the $25!). Then I read "PLEASE RENEW YOUR LRSA SPONSORSHIPS FOR 2011 - Your sponsorship funds go directly to paying for trout stocking in the Lehigh, where all your favorite pools between Jim Thorpe and Northampton are replenished with beautiful trout." See how folks think it is a big fishing club all about stocking, catching and eating fish? I mean, hell there is NOTHING wrong with that but it seems that some are trying to evolve the group beyond that. (BTW, the main page if mind numbingly long but I know you guys are working on the site).

Again, nothing in this post is to discredit the efforts of LRSA, it is just my opinion of what you and your organization can do better to promote the Lehigh fishery (if that is your intent).

As to your issues with Trout Unlimited. To my knowledge there is nothing in the national TU or state PA council of TU that addresses stocking. The purpose of TU is to protect, conserve and restore cold water watershed, with a direct and unhidden purpose of supporting cold water fish. It is up to the individual state fish commissions to address stocking laws in their state. My guess is that MT TU chapters don't worry about stocking since it is not allowed in the state. Certainly the Nations Capital Chapter does not worry about stocking as they have no cold waters around them, rather they support conservation efforts of other chapters. Other chapters go as far as to run their own hatcheries to support non-existent to small trout populations in marginal waters.

Attachments

• Lunkerfest.jpg
    Lunkerfest.jpg
    406.6 KB · Views: 6
Thank you Jeff I see what you are saying. It is a battle trying to change the image and some of the guys involved in the organization are old timers that just do not seem to understand. .....Actually I have to go to class I will edit this later LOL

I just found out what tl;dr means, by Googling it.

I guessed correcdtly about the too long part. But my guess for "dr" was drivel.

My version is better. :)

troutbert wrote:

It was a preemptive strike before Gfen or LRSABecker did it to me. Frankly, the length is probably not as bad as the drivel, so you are right.

LRSABecker wrote:
Ahh see now your going to run into the problem that the Lehigh does have a wild trout population arguement.

Are there many wild trout in the Lehigh anywhere downstream from the dam?

I realize that the population is probably some non-zero quantity. But how many are we talking about?

PA Trout Unlimited has never opposed stocking on the Lehigh.

I don't think any local TU chapter ever has either.

The reason I point this out is that someone reading the original post might get the idea that TU has come out in opposition to stocking the Lehigh River. And that is not the case.

I was serious about requiring pelagic strains-at least you won't affect the headwaters wild population.
They aren't going to turn into steelhead in eastern Pa.
Delaware use to do that-A few weeks after stocking they would be miles downstream-everyone gets a shot.
However-I am not a biologist.So I will enjoy the brawl.

jdaddy wrote:
It was a preemptive strike before Gfen or LRSABecker did it to me. Frankly, the length is probably not as bad as the drivel, so you are right.

Please don't include me in that. I'm all for doing it when its stupidity, but you'll find its Larissa and Jay who throw that flag more often than I.

I was tempted though, but I'm on board. Hell, I laughed openly at LUNKERFEST, and nodded in personal hindsight at the chainsmoker butt flicker. Not much to add, you've gotten it pretty much all there.

FWIW, to echo his sentiment: The LRSA appears to be two things. On one hand, its a group of people who actually DO want to turn the Lehigh into a high quality destination fishery. THe other hand, there's a group of people who want the same thing, but its only so they can have awesome fishing in their backyard for the purposes of personal greed.

You started here in such a way that represented the latter camp, hell, it was stacked against you. You've done an admirable job of shovelling out from under all that, however realize that part of what you're dealing iwth is damaged goods. No one here seems to (ok, maybe Chaz) argue with the idea of stocking the Lehigh to try and create sustanability, people just shut down when it gets bizarre like steelhead.

I'd like to know I could drive 45 minutes and have epic big west style fishing on hand. I won't coz its too far, but its a nice thought. Just remember, you've bedded down with the stringer brigade, and these people bring a powerful stink, in additional to money and passion, wherever they go. You're going to need to shoulder that burden while you work to present your side of the story.

(nice, fishin' map to LUNKERFEST!)

Quote:/ whom:

\quote
got it-
I always know what I mean-
well,until I come back later and wonder who the dummy is.
oh,the slanting things go both ways-interesting.

Are there many wild trout in the Lehigh anywhere downstream from the dam?

troutbert

There is a fair to decent population of wild trout in the Lehigh. Not nearly enough to make it a good, excellent, or blue ribbon fishery. IMO, if there were no stocking of the Lehigh it would be a fair to maybe so-so trout fishery.

Not sure how many wild trout exist in the river. I think it would be very difficult to get good population estimates. BUt the point is they are there and in decent #s with some very large ones swimming around too. If using the PFBC class system, my guess would be Class C to maybe Class B population.

All,

Just for clarification sake, please don't confuse the LRSA and the Lehigh Coldwater Fishery Alliance (LCFA). LCFA does not stock trout and is soley intersted in enhancing the wild trout fishery that exists in the river. When I read the posts, i got the notion that some maybe confusing the two organization. I cold be wrong, but just want to put it on "the record".

I think the LRSA being a stocking organization is a vital component in helping make this a more desirable trout fishery. Currently, I dont think stocking trout in the river affects wild trout populations and serves to enhance angler enjoyment of a large and beautiful river.

I wanted to know more about the Delaware when i lived down East but never made it. It's got to be similar in size to the Yough? There was a long while there they weren't sure about the Yough , but about 30 years ago they started stocking fingerlings , and still do.

jdaddy wrote:
troutbert wrote:

I was referring to the abbreviation "tl;dr" in general, because I never knew what it meant, not anybody's post in particular.

I'm editing my version.

tl;dr = too long, drivelous

troutbert wrote:
jdaddy wrote:
troutbert wrote:

I was referring to the abbreviation "tl;dr" in general, because I never knew what it meant, not anybody's post in particular.

I'm editing my version.

How about this...

tl;rebda = too long; read but didn't agree.
OR
tl;tfmomlinr = too long; thats five minutes of my life I will never recoup.

Maurice wrote:
troutbert wrote:
jdaddy wrote:
troutbert wrote:

I'm editing my version.

How about this...

tl;rebda = too long; read but didn't agree.
OR
tl;tfmomlinr = too long; thats five minutes of my life I will never recoup.

Hey, that's mean. I was trying to help the boy out.

Back