Trouble Landing Fish

Surveyor, I cant agree with you more. I still get the rush from the bite, and the initial rod bend, and what happens after that doesn't really matter to me. I guess just getting the bite is a reassuring factor that you're doing it right. :-D

kyle1248 wrote:
The problem is I am having the fish spit the fly. Doesn't matter if it is on the top fly or bottom fly as I have been fishing a lot of two nymph setups recently. I am probably averaging more fish missed than landed.

Lift up and set hard. I was told by a guide that I was being way too gentle so to speak so I listened and by darn I don't loose too many anymore unless I'm wishy washy when I set. It was never about soft or gentle, he was trying to get me to commit to the set. You've got to commit. I have lauched some unfortunate creek chubs into the trees, but I surely don't miss as many trout. Don't over think it just commit when you set. You'll be fine. It's all a learning process, I still rush a set on a dry but I've caught some monster oaks while doing it. LOL!

ive had the same problem a few years back. seemed that every really nice fish i hooked into was off in a few seconds. you may not have the same problem i did, but my problem was too much pressure after the hook set. i would set the hook perfectly but have too much drag. just keep enough pressure to hold the fish not muscle him around. keep enough tension on the line for him to tire, then strip line when he rests.

Yeah, when you change angles, you have to keep the line tight. Regardless of angles, keeping the line tight is an important factor.

1. Get a good hookset. Don't have a belly in the fly line. Set hard enough, and straight up, not back (it's a lift). Set it twice for good measure if you want.

2. Keep the line tight. Thats the big rule nomatter what. I like to change angles on them while they're still fresh and fighting. That part of the fight might be 1 or 2 seconds for a small trout, or 10 minutes for a energetic steelhead, or anything in between. Once I get em coming my way, I try to lead them to somewhere were I can handle the landing aspect. For average sized fish, perhaps some slow water. For truly large fish, I look for a beach point.

3. When they're close, and you get that head up out of the water, don't stop! If you play your cards right thats the end of the fight. The head comes up, you can take them anywhere you want so long as you drag them fast. But if you stop pulling them, and let the head go under, they often have another run in em. And its those close distance runs that, for me, they sometimes break the line.

4. I usually grab leader and as quickly as possible slide my hand down to the fly. If you get ahold of the fly, they ain't goin nowhere and the line won't break. If the fly is in a more difficult location, it's more of a hassle.

Back