Trip out west

Funny you should mention it...I'm thinking about fishing the Provo River this weekend...no Green Drakes just yet, but still could be awesome.

From what I have experienced, Utah is a highly underrated fly fishing destination. I have fished it A LOT in the past year and can say that without a doubt, it's got to be one of the best values for a non-resident you can find given the amount of fishabel water and the quality of the experience.

I would also consider the Green River out of Utah. You can do three day float trip and then wade fish a few days. Great fishing, beautiful scenery, you don't need to be an expert to catch fish, and weather in that area at the time of year should be great.

Funny you should mention it...I'm thinking about fishing the Provo River this weekend...no Green Drakes just yet, but still could be awesome.

Good luck and please let me know how you do. This will be my first summer of fishing it. I run through the Provo Canyon once a week, and did quite a bit of watching last summer. DEFINITELY one of those sleeper streams. I was surprised at the lack of pressure during the week.

Six-Gun;
I fished the Provo Monday & Tuesday. A lot of BWO's popping on the Lower River, Middle was nymphing good with Egans Olive Iron Lotus & sow bugs. Four Seasons posted some G Drakes coming off on the Middle but I didn't see any.

Festus/harry: thank you for the info, though I may have to divert this trip due to time/species considerations and hit it up when my buddy from Nebraska comes out here in May. I might be doing the Fremont river and Carcass Creek instead. Carcass will give me the chance to finally hook a western brook trout (which I have yet to do) and will put me close to the Fremont River, which is allegedly killing it on all manner of nymphs right now.

Fishinmagician: see what I was saying about Utah? These other gentlemen know what I'm on about here. I can't claim to have fished all over the West to make even a mild comparison of the best of the best, but I know good fishing when it's in my lap. If you, by strange chance make it out that way instead, let me know and I can definitely get you onto some great spots.

Go to the Henry's Fork Lodge (for first class accommodations) or Trout Hunter Lodge ( for something more down to earth) in Last Chance/island Park, Idaho on the Henry's Fork. Hire a guide from either the lodge or from Mike Lawson for a Three day package. You'll discuss each morning which AAA water you want to fish. Drink every night on the deck at either lodge looking over the river. Awesome! ( this was my 50th present from my bride)

Don,
If you're going to need lodging, I'd finalize your plans and book now. Yellowstone lodging reservations usually fill up in late winter.
I'll be down that way during that same time frame.
Early Aug, we're doing Upper Mich for a few days before Sturgis Bike Week. Then, we're metting a group of Erieites on the Big Horn for 6 days of black caddis, bwo and hopefully decent hoppers. After that, I have reservations for the 3rd and 4th week in Yellowstone Park (hoppers). Finishing off on the Missouri for trikes.
If you see a blue Honda Pilot with NY plates and a couple of guys with PHW hats. Stop and say Hi.

If you choose the Henrys Fork or the Snake, message me and let me know when you will be here. I live along the Teton river. Its a 10 Min drive to the South fork of the Snake and a 10 min drive to the Henrys Fork. The Teton is a gold mine for massive cutts if you are willing to throw streamers. and can get some local knowledge about access.

Festus/harry: thank you for the info, though I may have to divert this trip due to time/species considerations and hit it up when my buddy from Nebraska comes out here in May

Can you turn me on to any fly shops between Park City and Provo?

I'll have to take a look - there was a shop I was looking at for a guided trip around this time last year, but I don't have the email traffic from them anymore. Let me do some digging. It would make for a good start for the OP if he decides to get out that way, too.

EDIT:

Nevermind - I found it in my "sent" messages.

Four Seasons Fly Fishers
44 West 100 South
Heber City, UT
www.utahflyfish.com
800-498-5440

While I didn't use them, they are clearly a busy shop that does a lot of business in the Provo/Orem/Park City area.

Back