Tricos

During the earlier hatches of tricos the males do hatch after dark, but once the hatch is established and the days start to shorten they move toward the middle of the day. What this means is that on hot sumer days the spinners will be over the water at dawn, as the summer progresses on cooler days at least, trico spinners fall on the water males first then females.
By Sept. tricos are hatching during the days., I've seen then over the water all afternoon until dusk. Some streams tricos continue until December 1.
As for most spinnerfalls being an evening affair, someone's been smoking the wrong stuff. There are many many spinners that fall during the day and morning.

So the general consensus is that there is no consensus?

Chaz and I are agreeing, there is consensus. You are not differentiating between duns and spinners. Duns start off hatching late night, but move earlier as day light shortens. Spinner falls start early and get later in the day based upon heat. The spinner fall is early in the morning when it is hottest. They get worn out from getting all sweaty with their partners and fall quicker in hot weather. I think this discussion of "evening trico spinner falls" came when you brought the Rosenbaum article into the mix where he is talking about a majority of spinner falls, but not including Tricos in that mix.

Right on !!

Back