Trico's tippet and rod's

It took me three years to use up the first spool, I bought a replacement and I expect it to go longer than three years.

6x, on the other hand, I use. Usually to attach an unweighted dropper wet.

I owned a spool of 7X, but have since thrown it away. I can fish tricos on 6X and I only do that one or two mornings a year (long drive for me).

No 7x in my arsenal for many years (probably 15 or so). I use 6x for tricos, but I don't fish that hatch much anymore, and when I do, I don't seem to catch as many fish. Could be leader-shy fish, could be bad drift/presentation, could be less fish to catch;-). I'm ok with that though because with 6x I have a 50/50 chance of retrieving a fly that landed in the brush. 7x? Snap it off every time:-(

peace- tony c.

"I see many people going out and buying a bunch of low to medium end rods so at the end of the day the person has spent $800- $1000 on the rods alone and owns 4-5 decent rods but not one of them is an exceptional fishing rod. And because each rod is different the person never masters casting one rod because more than likely they are an assortment of lengths and actions. "

Greenweenie is spot on! I was waiting for someone to mention this. Beginners and intermediate FF (many of whom get advice from this forum) pay close attention to the last sentence.

A 700.00 rod (BTW a great rod, the z-axis is being discounted about 30% right now) is not appropriate for a beginner, but once you made the commitment, don't be cheap if you can afford it. There are too many pissing contests on this board about who can fish the cheapest gear and still catch fish

Greenweenie and nymphing,

Depends on the variety of fishing you do. You say that a "good" rod will handle 95% of the fishing, I totally disagree, for me anyway, YMMV. Such an argument sounds like the mark of someone who pretty much fishes the same type of water all of the time. I do a lot of different types of fishing.

In PA, the standard all round rod is a 9 ft 5 wt. That is because it is perfect for many of our streams, and managable on others. But I don't care if you have the world's best 9 ft 5 wt, it is going to get outclassed by a shorter $100 dollar rod in a jump across, rhododendron choked brookie stream. It's going to get outclassed by a cheap 9 wt when fishing the jetties in the salt. And it'd probably be outclassed by much cheaper rods on big river SM bass fishing, or Erie steel, as well.

Specialization beats quality.

Now, if you don't fish in all of those different conditions, but rather fish your same 3 or 4 streams over and over, all with similar size and characteristics, well then I agree. If all of your rods are designed for the same purpose, then 1 very good rod is better than 4 cheaper ones.

But me, I'd get bored with that kind of a fishing lifestyle VERY quickly.

I should also make the point that $ does not equate with "better" all of the time. Yeah, there's a correlation, but a poor one. I own rods ranging from $100 to $1000 new. It's hard to pick favorites, because again, they all excel in certain situations and are a poor choice in other situatinos. But that $100 rod is, IMO, a very good rod, and I'd put it up against rods that cost 4x as much in the same length and weight class.

nymphingmaniac wrote:
There are too many pissing contests on this board about who can fish the cheapest gear and still catch fish

I'd like to see one of those, that's for sure. I can think of a few where people said you don't need expensive nonsense to go fly fishin', sure, but never argument over using the cheapest gear possible.

I wish cheap #OOPS# would become popular. I could then sell all my stuff and get some lower middle class gear at least.

gfen wrote:
nymphingmaniac wrote:
There are too many pissing contests on this board about who can fish the cheapest gear and still catch fish

I'd like to see one of those, that's for sure. I can think of a few where people said you don't need expensive nonsense to go fly fishin', sure, but never argument over using the cheapest gear possible.

I tend to agree. Being cheap is a badge of honor around here whether it be craft store bargains, tubs of make up remover or trying to repair a badly cracked line to get another season out of it. See what I did there?

On the other side of the coin, there is quite a bit of crap doled out for people who may actually buy something nice, when there is a cheaper alternative.

jdaddy wrote:
I tend to agree. Being cheap is a badge of honor around here whether it be craft store bargains, tubs of make up remover or trying to repair a badly cracked line to get another season out of it. See what I did there?

Not really, coz I'm doped up and depressed. Although, it is a badge of honour for me. And that line contiues to carry on in the daily heat and sun inside the car.

Back