Tree Hugger!

Here's the link to the book about the biggest trees in PA. Only $10. I bought a copy some years ago and it's pretty interesting. Now I wish I could find it!

I went to see some of the big trees close by. Lots of the big trees are in southern PA, though, on college campuses, private estates etc., rather than in the Big North Woods, as you might expect.

http://www.pabigtrees.com/

I noticed the Balsam Fir (Abies balsamea) was measured by "Matt Kern."

Fishidiot wrote:
Ya gotta love October. While out hiking today to one of my favorite brookie streams in Perry County

Where the brookies spawning yet?

Cool posts by everyone. Matt i thats something i never knew. WOW! :-o

Here's a pic of Lafayettes Sycamour from this afternoon. In the pic you can see a bunch of fish in the stream, unfortunately I didn't catch any which is the norm for me for this hole.

I cant see the tree or the fish :-(

Can't figure out how to post the pic.

If it is on your hard drive, use the browse feature below the text entry box (the box where you type the message after you hit reply). there are other ways, but I find that the easiest.

I am drawn to nature. Camped out last night!

Still smell the fire.

JasonS wrote:
Can't figure out how to post the pic.

I usually upload it to imgur.com and post it that way.

I should have the issue figured out. File was bitmap and I needed to convert it to jpeg. Hopefully here's the pic.

Attachments

• lafsyc10202009.jpg
    lafsyc10202009.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 2
Looks almost cartoonish. Like an octopus in a sky diving accident.

The pic doesn't really do it justice. It's impressive to see in person. Here's another pic from today.

Attachments

• Lafsyc310202009.jpg
    Lafsyc310202009.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 2
You could honestly build a treehouse big enough to live in... That sure would be sweet. :-D

jaybo,
I've fished Maple many times. I used to fish a big pool close to the mouth, plus I fished the riffles in the river right at the mouth. Always good for a trout or two or three. I've heard that much of the access to that land is posted these days. That would be a shame.

troutbert wrote:
Fishidiot wrote:
Ya gotta love October. While out hiking today to one of my favorite brookie streams in Perry County

Where the brookies spawning yet?

Troutbert,
I didn't see any spawning brookies although I was looking out for them and expected to see some. The stream I was fishing had a lot of water in it and looked good, but the sudden deluge may have put 'em off the spawn. Frankly, I saw and caught very few fish - a real dissapointment considering how remote the stream is. Nevertheless, it was a great day to be outside and finding this big tree was the highlight of the day.

I can see the fish in that pic :)

It may be that this tree was a little guy when the loggers came and escaped the saw because of this. Treesin good moist soil can grow very fast, I'm not saying this is the case with this tree, this is just how trees grow. A tree along a stream can grow very fast with its feet in the water, if this type of environment is what it likes. This is one reason Sycamores grow slow big so fast, the down side is that Sycamores die relatively young. Forty or fifty years is about average.
There was a tree behind my buddies home in Quakertown, it happened to be an oak, I think it was a pin oak. Anyway this guy was probably 8 feet in diameter. A while back DCNR surveyed trees for size maybe 20 years ago in conjunction with the aniversary of Wm. Penns landing in PA. I never found the book about them, but I think it is available somewhere. I've got a book called Wm. Penns Trees from 1932, documenting trees at least 250 years old. Trees can be aged by taking a core sample.

wow that is a beautiful tree.. any chance you can post gps co-ordinates? i love cook forest.... dont forget the old growth in allan segar... also, there is a small patch of old growth hemlock between the Hamersley and cross forks... a tough hike in but worth it!

Back