Too big for the Letort

odizz17

odizz17

Circus Peanut... 2 size 4 hooks. Need a big fish lol, this pg13 nonsense needs to stop. Looking for something 18+

ArticulationNation!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 6
Perfectly safe for any trout over 14".

Nice fly.....but it's not too big for Letort. :)

I got a 10" brown the other day on an articulated streamer about 4" in length. This particular fly would be a killer on smallies too.

Thank you. I only fished it a few times, but with such clear water I wasn't sure if I should stick to smaller, more translucent streamers. Kinda like an old school Mickey Fin (sp?). Gonna swing a few of these bad boys around the Letort and mid/upper breeches in the morning.

I can tell you, the very first time I fished articulated streamers, I became a fan. Even the fish that turn away at the last instant are a rush. But in very deep water, I can't seem to get then into the strike zone. Does anyone else have this issue? In deep water, say over six feet, a slimmer fly gets down faster IMHO. Obviously, that's a rarity on the Letort. Opinions?

DaveS wrote:
But in very deep water, I can't seem to get then into the strike zone. Does anyone else have this issue? Opinions?

Yep. I like a full sink line and short leader for heavy water conditions. Clipped deer hair flies, although they look great in the vise, don't shine in these conditions IMO. Ultimately, some waters are so fast and deep that they're best fished with a small, very heavy streamer rather than a large, articulated one.

I pulled a fly out of a tree up in Tregos meadow on the letort a few days ago.. Looks very similar to that one

I use a streamer express sink tip on my St. Croix Bank Robber. Every location is different. A short leader keeps the line at the depth you allow it to sink to. Experimentation with different materials aids in sink rates and swimming characteristics. I enjoy experimenting and searching for what works...and additionally learning when to use each. Slow moving water makes for the most difficult and challenging conditions. I continuously look for the most realistic behavior and appearance. So do the fish...

Is it too big?...not for the big'ens I'm looking for. Go Bigger!

Great looking fly, reminds me of Peacock flys.

That streamer is fine for size and looks pretty sweet. Don't be afraid to toss junk at them. You might be amazed when a 8" fish tries to eat it....or a 28" fish.

. My buddy has a bankrobber and that "streamer express" line in a long head. We used it from the boat up on the D. It sank so fast with an unweighted streamer that it hung up in just a few seconds after the cast. In fact, he was so unimpressed with it that he's looking to sell it with only 2-3 hours of use. Retails for $80. If you are interested, shoot me a pm.
http://buy.scientificanglers.com/lines/mastery-fly-lines/mastery-series-streamer-express-long.html

Dave,
We tried short sections of t-14 but it casts horribly so we are still experimenting. We ordered some 5-7' ultra fast sink poly leaders and looked at Rio 10' sink tip streamer line. I'll keep you posted if we find a good combo for larger / deeper water.

I agree with Jack on this one , having lived in Cumberland county for 12 or so years and seeing the size of some of the browns in there that fly would have no problem , under the right conditions of getting the job done.

Brookieaddict..............NICE SEAT uh on that reel......heh.

Thanks guys. After losing a great fish this past weekend, I gotta say the streamer bite is addicting. Can't wait to get back out in a few days! Hoping for a little more rain...

Back