tippet to leader

• Thread starter clarksvalley326
  • Start date
Tom,

I believe you got the right knot, but mine seem to end up more parallel. Try it out, it works well for me. I will say that I normally use the traditional blood knot.

I use a triple surgeons knot. It is quick, easy, and has always worked well for me. Just be sure to wet it before you pull it tight.

afish wrote-

"Wow Paul, you've risen to such a level of sensitivity that you can feel the difference between two different types of knots on your leader!"

No, I am still totally average but I did also say-

"Probably just a personal psychological issue."

blood knot when i can, triple surgeons when i can`t....

blood knot

The Triple Surgeon's knot beats the Blood Knot hands down.

I did tests of the blood knot vs. the triple surgeon's knot in 2-lb mono.

The Triple Surgeon's knot beat the blood knot almost every time. It wasn't even close. I'll never tie another blood-knot.

Try it yourself and you'll see:

Test Procedure:

I tied three sections of 2-lb mono together, using a blood knot for one knot and a triple surgeon's for the other. Then I tied loops in the open ends (to pull on).

In 18 out of 20 trials the triple surgeons knot beat the blood knot.

Another great option

Tippet Rings. Tie a 2mm tippet ring on the leader using an Orvis Knot (much better than an improved clinch). Then tie the tippet on with another orvis knot. This rig will generally beat the triple surgeon's in my experience. And you don't need to worry about the relative diameter of two sections that you are connecting together.

Also you can tie a dropper on to the tippet ring too.

The blood knot requires tons of moisture to tie properly. Are you sure you're wetting them well? I tie them under water, or completely covered in spit, and have never had a problem.

Tom,

Occam's Razor would suggest the triple surgeon's knot is just stronger.

tomgamber wrote:
One explanation could be you tie bad blood knots...?

I wouldn't rule that out - I do hate the blood knot.

You should try it out though - test it yourself and see, you might be surprised.

I'm just busting your chops...but I like using the quick reply so most of the time you have insert your own smileys.

I use surgeon's knots. A double on any connections between materials that are 3X (.008) and larger and a triple on everything smaller.

I can tie a blood knot, but I just don't see the point. It has no advantages over the surgeon's knot that I can see..

This knot thing was one more place where learning stuff from that nincompoop George L. Herter screwed me up when I was but a pup and new at this stuff.

His big, definitive book recommended something called the Wolf Knot for connecting sections of a leader. So, I used it for the first few years I fly fished. It was just slightly better than useless and I hope Wolf (or whoever invented it) ended up in jail with George...

Here's the Wolf Knot:

http://www.pechetruite.com/Noeuds/Dropper-wolf%20knots.htm

Blood knot for me. The only time they have broken is when I already knew I tied a Sh!tty knot and fished it anyway. I don't do that anymore!! :) I'll tie the knot again.

2 perfection loops never have to rework leader just tie another loop and put it on

does no one use the albright knot but me?

triple surgeon even works on braid to mono but I don't recall a blood or half blood knot ever failing before tippet to fly so I always went with the smallest and fastest when tying heavy to lighter
That's the half blood-TETO
but I always used a three foot tippet which is a fly fishers shock tippet so the fly to tippet was the weakest point-shorter tippets and you lose that factor-you might want to try the three foot tippet and MONO really cuts down on lost fish even with a 5 foot sinking line streamer leader.
If you want to get really sneaky-double the lighter tippet material at the blood.
that way you can use 2 foot of 20 tied to 3 foot of 8 for streamer leader with sinking lines.

Ditto on what Tom said. I use the surgeon when I'm getting lazy or my fingers are give'n me trouble. I usually don't have trouble with either one. If you don't already wet your knots give that a try it may make the difference. And now that I really think about it. I guess I do tie a triple surgeon when I use one. Go to the user area check out my info for my site. I have a link there for knots. Maybe it'll help. Good luck.

Back