tippet ring or swivel is there a difference?

Although, this won't do anything about the fact that I've also been ditching leaders because the thingamabobbers are making huge kinks in them as well. Might go to yarn.

Had a couple old time Steelheaders give me a tip on using the Thingamabobbers.

Attach them to your leader with a very short (1">) piece of 10lb mono.
I think it's the improved clinchknot that I use. It will slide up and down your leader for easy adjustment. Then a little pull and it is set.

I had trouble tying them on the stream so I tie them up at home.
I just tie the knot that goes on the leader over a little drink box straw.
Tie up 2-3 and when needed you just slip your leader through the straw and then pull out the straw.

Squaretail wrote:
I have found the Spro barrel swivels to be helpful with twisting flies like the san juans and some streamers. I also find them helpful with attaching flouro to mono when I go to Erie. No reason for the rings to me. Blood knots just arent that tough to tie.

Square,

I hear what you are saying about the blood knots. However, with the tippet ring you can go from a heavy straight butt section then attach a tippet ring and then run flurocarbon tippet (4x-6X). It is really nice for nymphing. I use this system a lot now and it works great. I don't use rings for dry-fly fishing although people do.

I make my own thread furled leaders, and I don't like the tippet ring at the end. I use a perfection loop, which to me is much stronger because it is using all the threads at the end of the leader to form the loop, rather than half with a tippet ring. I'd rather do a loop to loop than tie onto a tiny ring. I use a shorb loop on the butt of the leader so I have a loop to loop to the fly line (there's no bulk to jam the eyes) Thingamabobbers work better on thread leaders as well; stay in position better and won't kink the line.

One thing you may want to check on is, can you use them in FFO water?
I use a surgeons knot to tie my tippet to my leader and it barely take 30 seconds. So I don't know what the big deal is, you still have to tie a knot.

Chaz wrote:
One thing you may want to check on is, can you use them in FFO water?
I use a surgeons knot to tie my tippet to my leader and it barely take 30 seconds. So I don't know what the big deal is, you still have to tie a knot.
Yes you can use them on FFO water. The advantage lies in the fact that when you replace your tippet the leader stays the same length.

What is the advantage over tying a perfection loop in your leader? I don't use loop to loop, but I do tie the perfection loop in my leader and use a clinch knot to secure my tippet to the loop.

I have never once lost a fish or fly due to knot failure at the loop.

They all do the same job. Some like vanilla, some like chocolate; others like strawberry. More than one way to skin a cat (or catch a fish).

Back