Time to Kick Off Bass Fishing!

Nice Dave !! I can't wait for the water levels to stabilize a little.

Great fish, Dave! Yeah, the water levels over the past few weeks have been a bit dicey. Seems just about the time they are settling down we get blasted with another significant rain event here in the SE. May stop on the way home from work this afternoon to take a water temp and try one of those slower water eddy seams that I've located on the Conestoga. Itchin' to get into one of those big pre-spawn smallies.

Juniata River went well over 50 degrees yesterday and is holding as of today (Sunday). Looks like more rain is on the way but if you can pull some time today or the next couple days, conditions should be good and smallies should be aggressive. The temp gage on the Susky is offline but my guess would be that the big river is probably well over 50 as well.

I'll be trying my luck on the Lower Juni in my pontoon on Sat. 4-19. I heard the action has been good. Good luck to all that go out. If anyone wants to hook up for a float drop me a line.

I had a nice day on Sat. These are from the lower Juni.

2674.jpg

2673.jpg

Nice to see some people snagging some bass. The Juniata borders my property so I have to only walk a short way to find some great water. Maybe I'll hit it today with the fly rod or maybe a local class A trout water...hmm....life is full of tough decsions.

Well, I'm about ready to hang up pre-spawn bass fishing - might give it one more shot as springtime as been slow arriving this year (the trees are only just starting to bud out around here in the last few days). However, we're getting into May and it's time to focus on trout or salt water or toothies or something else (bluegills!) as bass will soon be cutting redds if they aren't already.
I wasn't able to get out as much this spring as I would have liked to (as if any of you are different). The times I did get out, with only one exception, treated me well with multiple fish in the teens and several in the 18-21" class. Best time of year for big river smallies...but I'm calling the game over, at least for me.

If you're a pre-spawn bass regular, how did this spring stack up for you? I think it was better than 2013. Thoughts?

Back