Timbers - 2018-2019 Thread

I completely buy the natural selection theory that Rattlers' current main predator is man, and that individuals who are less prone to rattle (and be detected from it) have better survival rates, and presumably more chances to breed, currently.

I have about 10 encounters in the PA woods while fishing or hiking now. Only one, coincidentally the only yellow phase I've ever seen, did any significant amount of rattling. He was sitting on a tan/sand colored rock along the stream and was camouflaged quite well. I actually identified him from the sound, before I saw him. I was about 2 steps away still, but he was right in my intended path. After he settled down, and I took a few pictures, I thanked him for his warning.

sandfly - If I didn't observe a Rattler swim across Penns Creek once, I would have said your photo was shopped. ;-)

I have only seen about 4 rattlers. none rattled, including one on a narrow trail in front of me. I wear turtleskin gaitors up to kness over waders in luzerne carbon etc.

on an abandoned overgrown road, 2'-3' grass, near mehoopany creek, I almost put my foot down on a snake. it moved and I pulled back. it left, not sure it was a rattler, but it might have been one. I try to be very careful in grass or ferns.

I've only seen 4 rattlers, all have been in Potter county. But, I often wonder how many rattlers I must have walked very close to and not known it when fishing up there? :)

Going off memory here, but I think it's accurate...

Potter: 5
Mifflin: 2
Centre: 1
Clinton: 1
Schuylkill: 1

0 Copperheads, anywhere.

Going off memory here, but I think it's accurate... Potter: 5 Mifflin: 2 Centre: 1 Clinton: 1 Schuylkill: 1 0 Copperheads, anywhere.

The only place I (believe it was) saw a copperhead was fishing on the Yough.

Good sized one too.

Attachments

• Snake.jpg
    Snake.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 3
  • snake 2.jpg
    snake 2.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 3
Yeah, that's a Copperhead. Most of the sightings we seem to get of them on here seem to come out of the Laurel Highlands. Maybe they're relatively more common there. I don't fish that area of the state much though.

Swattie87 wrote:
Going off memory here, but I think it's accurate...

Potter: 5
Mifflin: 2
Centre: 1
Clinton: 1
Schuylkill: 1

0 Copperheads, anywhere.
I saw a copperhead a couple weeks ago in the DHALO section of the Little Schuylkill. I was practicing rolling my kayak there. I pulled the skirt to get my phone for a quick picture. It was in my lap and took a bath as I stood up. Doh! I saw another one quite a bit upstream, above the silt dam. The dam at Rabbit Run is infested with them.

On the other hand, I've been spending every weekend lately in the Lehigh Gorge SP and still have never seen a rattlesnake in the wild. I've had so many people, including swattie, tell me that area has a lot of rattlesnakes. I really have no idea have I still haven't seen one.

I too have never seen a copperhead in PA. I do know 3 people that got bit by them in Lancaster County though.

I think coppers are a rare sight for fishermen as they seem to be more nocturnal in summertime. Also think they're spookier and less tolerant of people than timbers.

phiend - Any chance those were Northern Water snakes on the Little Skuke? From what you’re describing, I’d say it’s much more likely to be them in terms of location and behavior. Very easy to mix up those with a Copperhead...their pattern and coloration is nearly identical. Gotta get a good look at the head to tell.

I hear the same thing about Rattlers in the Lehigh area. I take the same precautions I do in areas where I have seen them (gaiters on in the warmer months), but I’ve never actually seen one there. I know people who have while fishing in the gorge though. According the state’s self reporting numbers though, Carbon Co. has the highest number of sightings. Could just be a couple snake fans who do a lot of searching and reporting there, but still.

Carbon also has the highest number of reported Copperhead sightings too. FWIW.

PARS Reporting

Swattie87 wrote:
phiend - Any chance those were Northern Water snakes on the Little Skuke? From what you’re describing, I’d say it’s much more likely to be them in terms of location and behavior. Very easy to mix up those with a Copperhead...their pattern and coloration is nearly identical. Gotta get a good look at the head to tell.

I hear the same thing about Rattlers in the Lehigh area. I take the same precautions I do in areas where I have seen them (gaiters on in the warmer months), but I’ve never actually seen one there. I know people who have while fishing in the gorge though. According the state’s self reporting numbers though, Carbon Co. has the highest number of sightings. Could just be a couple snake fans who do a lot of searching and reporting there, but still.

Carbon also has the highest number of reported Copperhead sightings too. FWIW.

PARS Reporting

Anything is possible but I'm better than 90% sure they were copperheads. The northern water snakes I've seen are way darker, almost black with brown markings. The snakes I'm talking about were tan/sand colored with reddish brown markings. I didn't get close enough to really get a great look at the head. The one I saw above the silt dam was confirmed by someone vastly more knowledgeable than myself. If he says it's a copperhead, I'll go to my grave believing it was.

I hear of people seeing rattlesnakes in the Lehigh Gorge almost every weekend. I sort of feel ripped off, lol. All these people get to see them and I still haven't when I put in way more time up there.

I hear of people seeing rattlesnakes in the Lehigh Gorge almost every weekend. I sort of feel ripped off, lol. All these people get to see them and I still haven't when I put in way more time up there.

I spend a lot of time fishing the gorge...still haven't seen one (currently knocking on wood), but I know they're definitely around. Someone told me they're more common down towards Jim Thorpe than farther upstream. I'm pretty cautious about navigating rocks/boulders etc., always on the lookout for them - I bet I've missed a couple.

bradtheflyfisherman wrote:

I spend a lot of time fishing the gorge...still haven't seen one (currently knocking on wood), but I know they're definitely around. Someone told me they're more common down towards Jim Thorpe than farther upstream. I'm pretty cautious about navigating rocks/boulders etc., always on the lookout for them - I bet I've missed a couple.

When I've mentioned them to people who know the Gorge much better than I do, I've been told around Bear Creek is the best place to see them.
I always keep my eyes open there too. I try my best not to step, reach, or grab anywhere in unseen places.

have seen two rattlers near small lehigh gorge area streams, but that was over many fishing trips.

k-bob, didn't you see one while you were walking down a particular trail to the stream?

yeah. also I imagine that some of the east bank of the lehigh is remote w some high rocky ridges. and hickory run is not too far away, a wco told me that sees some rattlers in remote hickory run park areas. like others here, I have never seen a copperhead.

Thought I'd refresh this thread from last year (with an update to 2019).

Any timber rattlesnake encounters this year for you?

As I mentioned last year, it seems that there is at least one timber encounter during the jam.

Here's a nice looking yellow phase that I came upon in Michaux SF this morning. Down here in SC there are some that exhibit the reddish stripe down the back more typically associated with southern "canebrake" rattlers (although this guy doesn't have it).

Anyway, I love to see reptiles of any sort (seems like a banner year for turtles around here), but a timber rattlesnake is special.

Attachments

• TR4.JPG
    TR4.JPG
    146.2 KB · Views: 3
I haven't seen any rattlesnakes, unfortunately, but I'm with you on the turtle sightings Dave. I see way more on the Conodoguinet than I used to, including one of which had a clam clamped onto one of it's nails. I also stumbled upon a wood turtle while fishing Spring Creek in Harrisburg, of all places.

That’s a nice one Dave. None for me yet in 2019.

I haven’t spotted any rattlers yet this year but I’m always on the lookout for them. I see most of them while working in the woods. Over the years I’ve seen quite a few timber rattlers mostly in Berks, Schuylkill, Cumberland, Lycoming, Clinton and Perry Counties. The only Copperhead that I ever positively ID’d in PA was quite a few years back in Exeter Twp., Berks Co. I’m long overdue for a rattler sighting and I always enjoy seeing them. I don’t spend the amount of time tromping around the woods as I did when I was younger in my career and that’s probably the main reason for not bumping into as many rattlesnakes.

Back