Tie or buy?

I buy 80%. I will tie easier patterns like caddis larva when I can turn them out in volume. But I, like many others, don't have the time to dedicate to,not only the tying, but the learning.
If i ever give up working maybe that will change.

I first started tying waaay back in 1971 or so, when Main Line Fly Tyers (Cox Sport Shop) was started. I wasn't very good at it and lost interest quickly. In fact, I went back to spin fishing totally for many years afterwards. A few years ago I picked up the fly rod again, but now buy all of my flies.

I think that there are a couple of factors that are involved. How much is your time worth, do you enjoy doing it, are you happy with the patterns that you can buy. Most flies you can buy for $0.60 lets say you are quick (I am not) and you can tie one in 5 min that's $7.20 an hour and not worth it to me, but....... some people really enjoy it so to each their own.

I tie everything now...except panfish poppers as others have said. I still have a bunch of streamers I bought when I started fly fishing a few years ago, so I don't tie those yet. I also have some dries I bought then, but I use my own flies anyway.

As to the discussion about tying dries, I basically use cdc exclusively, which I think is easy to work with and very effective.

My favorite flies to tie are emergers and soft hackles.

I enjoy the tying as much as (or sometimes more than) the fishing. So I fish flies that I have tied only.

I have been tying so long that I no longer have anymore store-boughts (or very few) to call my own. The sickness is to the point where I feel 'funny' about fishing a store bought fly. One exception is if I see a fly in the shop I might want to copy... in that case I will buy ONE if I can't beg my way into it for free:)
~wetfly

Hey neighbor!

By the way...can I still make you an offer on some of those fly boxes you have laying around collecting dust?

I tie most of the flies I use, infact that's what I've been doing this afternoon. I do buy some that I either don't tie well or cannot tie. I have big trouble with parachute patterns, so I'll bu them, from friends.
I never thought that by tying myself I'd ever save money, and I don't think it's possible unless you use crap to tie with. The best you can do is break even, but on the plus side there should be no reason to not have the right fly for where you're fishing.
I've decided after tying today I'm going to start tying all my flies. I spent the afternoon at the vise and the results are far better than what I get at a store, where you get something tied in Sri Lanka that may or my not last long enough to catch more than a few fish.

I tie my own and really enjoy it. I learned from books and videos and have seen my tying improve steadily year by year. I find that the simplesat ties are usually the mosat effective. To me nothing beats having a great day on the water catching a bunch of trout on flies I tied myself.

Gramps1947

when my wife and I decided to take up fly fishing in 2008 we were committed to tie our own flies. It was supposed to be my wifes job since she agreed and I didnt think I had the patience. Well a few trips to sandflys shop for lessons and away I went my wife doesnt tie anymore and thats all I do. I go to a certain 2nd hand store and get all the dubbing I want from fur collars and stoles of mink beaver fox rabbit. I shoot my own and have neighbors that hunt and bring feathers and such. I learned to dye anything so I have a lifetime supply of dubbing and feathers for practically free. I know I can tie cheaper than buying and also I love it. I have made a lot of my own tools and built my fly set up. I have tied all our flies we use from the beginning and only had to purchase a few patterns out in Yellowstone that we didnt have along.

I buy, but would imagine if I werent in outdoor retail I would tie. Since re-moving from sightnymph and his wonder-dogs house to a new place with one of my mentors who ties religiously, I imagine thats gonna change. But sometimes I can bulk up on flies at my work for right around .28 cents.
I do however realize I'm missing a level in our sport and I'm confident theres an art form to tying as well.

I tie 80% of my flies and don't think it is any cheaper unless you are a guide and must pump out a ton of a handful of patterns. Tie for all the reasons stated, plus tying for a trip is part of getting in the mood.

There are a ton of reasons I buy/bum flies.
There are some flies I hate to tie.
There are flies I buy from my friends.
Bumming flies from fellow fishermen is an ancient and honorable part of fly fishing.
Like to buy locally tied flies when I travel - they are a cheap and fun souvenier.
If I need to buy materials and wouldn't tie up many of a fly buying is easier and cheaper.
If I get info from a fly shop I will buy some flies from them. For example, if I'm BSing with the guys at Feathered Hook and getting some tips I will buy some flies - plus a good fly shop should have something I don't.

I'm also in the camp of generally not wanting to tie on vacation - if I run out I'll usually buy something.

JUst started fly fishing let alone fly tying. Thought the two were synonymous so i included tying in my crash course. So far i can tie decent wooly buggers and pheaseant tail nymphs. These are easy and after a day of two or studying and practicing i could replicate them fairly well to the insructors. Everything else i buy until i have the time to learn to tie them properly.

Tie. A thousand times, tie, tie, tie. Not for some spiritual or artistic reason, although that might be for you or not. You'll be able to fine-tune the patterns to how you fish, the water you fish and the fish you chase.
There are almost NO places I could get my snowshoe hare emerger/cripple fly. It's almost the only sulfur dun I use in mildly ripply or smooth water. And it kills. You may find the same thing yourself with a fly of your own.
And bass streamers: Fugedaboudit!!! Now way can you buy the variety and quality that you can tie yourself for the money. There are saltwater streamers that cost $4 @ that you can tie for prolly' 50 cents with the hook being WAY the most expensive piece. A good day on bluefish and you'll pay for a new fly line in chewed-up store-bought flies.

Syl

The only time I buy is when I stop in a new shop to either nose around or for tips on the local water. I figure it's the least I can do.

Have been tying since 1968. It was a long, meticulous process of learning. As others have already noted, I've not saved any money by tying, and lots of people tie better than I do. Still, I tie 99% of the flies I use. As others have already noted, when I am visiting a fly shop and am trying to get the dope on "what's on," I think it is proper etiquette to buy a half dozen flies. After all, that's how fly shops make some money to stay open. You might get a hundred bucks' worth of information for ten bucks when buying a few flies.

I'll tie them if I have too, but I hate it. I'd rather pay someone I know to tie them for me. last resort, I buy some from a shop(yikes!!)

Back