Thunderstorms, anyone fishing these post-storm flows?

B

BeastBrown

I fished a low gradient wild trout stream after some t-storms rolled through about 4 weeks ago, and the fishing was incredible. High gradients were too muddy, but this little devil was rolling jussttt a little murky. I'm sure you guys know that sweet color that is oh so perfect. Small streamers released into the banks from above and slowly twitched back was the ticket. Over 50 brookies, 10" was a monster though, they were stunted, huge heads, tiny bodies. I don't know if harvesting some would really help them grow larger or not. Thoughts?

Last night the Lehigh Valley got rocked with some 5 inches or more in a few locations. Central Pa looks like it is in for some serious stuff right now. Anyone keepin' on eye the radar here clickin' yer heels, lol?

Dear Beast,

Rapala

Regards,

Tim Murphy

I fished Carbon county stream today. It had good flow and was clear. Water temp was 53F. That Lehigh was ripping though!

BeastBrown wrote:
Central Pa looks like it is in for some serious stuff right now. Anyone keepin' on eye the radar here clickin' yer heels, lol?

I was watching (or experiencing) the weather up close. I was fishing a mountain stream in Clinton County and was about 2 miles from my vehicle when the storm hit. I got drenched and the lighting was snapping pretty close by. I'm not sure if ducking helps when the lightning is close, but I tried that anyway. I had good brookie fishing before the storm came through. It should be good tomorrow on the mountain streams.

The storms have completely missed my area the past few days but we did have a good bit of rain last week so streams are still fine. I had my best day ever earlier this month the morning after a big thunderstorm- landed 32 browns in 3 hrs, using Rapalas and spinners. Tim has the right idea!

Might have some rain on the way shortly and I have tomorrow free :)

I haven't been out since the jam so can't comment on local fishing here in Adams County. However, we've been hammered with thunderstorms (including as I type this on Sunday evening) and water levels across the SC are high. Until recently the water temps have been cold but I'd guess this weather has 'em up.

Traditionally, I like to fish mountain streams after a storm during the warmer months of the year.

Back