The PFBC is Puzzling...Question About Stocking Wild Streams

troutbert – Thanks for pointing out that Operation Future has been going on since 1980; the streams in question have been stocked since that time…and they still meet Class A criteria. Thanks for helping my argument that stocked trout are not all that bad.

The bottom line folks is…the general public and the bulk of trout fishermen do not care about wild trout. Heck, a lot of people on this board cannot even identify a wild trout. We (the 1% as per BrookieChaser) appreciate them, but they cost the PFBC and businesses money.

I think the PFBC has struck the right balance now between their stocking program and their wild trout management. Others think differently.

Stenonema – I apologize, but I was trying to drive a point home.

It's all right Fuzz, We all dig trout. To be clear. I don't have any problem with trout stocking. I feel that it is a tradition and I like tradition.
Is it wrong for me to feel like I don't care if they decimate a wild trout stream I will never fish? This is a question that I ask myself. Because, I feel like Fuzz, You know the stream you are talking about better than I do. Whatever happens is in your hands. However, My past experience has jaded my thinking on this issue. But, these were streams and trout I am attached to.
Just want you to know. Stocking over wild, Pheasants or trout is playing with fire. Sayings like having your cake and eating it too, or if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is; come to mind.

If someone put some pollution in a stream that reduced a trout stream's population by 1/2 to 2/3, everyone would be upset.

But when the fisheries management of a stream suppresses the trout population by 1/2 to 2/3, year after year after year, people say it's "not all that bad" and that it's "striking the right balance."

fishfuzz wrote:

BrookieChaser, Stenonema, and Brown71,
Please tell me you guys realize that the PFBC stocked brown trout pelletheads in our streams from as far back as roughly 1890. Congratulations Stenonema for catching one of those big stocked descendants when you were 13. It cracks me up, however, when we put this prestige upon wild trout only to realize the only reason they are in our streams in the first place is because the PFBC stocked them years ago.

I'm late to the party.

I guess you didn't know the hatchery strain from 1890 was way different than the pelletheads of today?

To answer your question, I know all about stocking and the damage artificial fisheries have caused to our native fish. Since the native fish have been stocked over the only thing we are left with is wild invasives.
These wild fish have some genetic modification, or learned behavior, that are allowing them to survive and reproduce. They then adapt to their surroundings and make worthy adversaries to our angling pursuits.
I'll take the lesser of two evils, since any native strain of brook trout in most of these streams have been extirpated, any brook trout would be stocked as well.

For the record, I'm fine with stocking streams that will not support wild trout.

fishfuzz wrote:

The bottom line folks is…the general public and the bulk of trout fishermen do not care about wild trout. Heck, a lot of people on this board cannot even identify a wild trout. We (the 1% as per BrookieChaser) appreciate them, but they cost the PFBC and businesses money.

I think the PFBC has struck the right balance now between their stocking program and their wild trout management. Others think differently.

See one of my earlier posts, like I said "the general public is ignorant". If the general public was left to their own vices do you think we'd even have a PFBC, PGC, DCNR, or any rules and regulations regarding fishing, hunting, or natural resources? It is up to those that know, and care, to protect what is valuable.

How do wild trout cost the PFBC money?

To me there is no gray area here, you either care about the wild fish and want to see them thrive, or you want the stream polluted (as Troutbert said).

Back