The Nale Brothers

Bruno wrote:

NNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Over under on posts with a math break down of their numbers. Come on whos first ?

:pint: I'm out...

The only time I have ever heard of these guys was in the Joe Armstrong book and there he referenced them a lot. I put almost zero stock in that book if that means anything. I will say this, of course we can learn a lot about fly fishing or fish behavior in general from any kind of fishing and any kind of fish related experiences. Sure, fishing with hard baits, stick baits, soft plastics and all other types can help you fish streamers just as fishing with bait can help you with nymphs. It is all so similar.

Brown71 wrote:

I could post some really interesting stories about how I figured how much more bait works for big browns than flies, but those are other stories for other days, I don't have the time to type it all out right now LOL.

And of course bait works wonderfully at catching fish and big fish to boot. Bait is REAL and has FLAVOR and SCENT. This is the exact reason I quit using bait when I was about 10 and have never touched it since unless I'm taking a kid fishing. The very effectiveness of it is what makes me not want to use it. Of course trout will like a big juicy nightcrawler but I know I'll feel more elation when I get them to eat some opossum fur wrapped with some thread.

LongLineRelease wrote: Their stats about the number, size, and type of trout caught when compared to water type, conditions, and weather are pretty fascinating. I think anyone
interested in keeping this kind of data could learn from it.
This is exactly the type of information I keep record of for every fishing trip I go on. I don't bring a note book streamside though, my memory serves me well enough until I get home. :) I compare results from year to year to see similarities or differences that might help me on future fishing trips. I also take pics of notable fish, usually of a bigger trout or an extra pretty one. To each his/her own I guess.

Jifigz,
For me, the enjoyment of simply catching big trout far outweighs the "how" in catching them, and that includes night fly fishing. Bait, spinners, plugs ,flies...it's all good. I generally don't stick to one technique and fight the odds when, under the conditions at hand, another technique is more appropriate. If the odds are about equal, then I will generally pick a preferred technique OR one for which I am already rigged.

As for the Nale data, bring it! I have no objection to numbers, feeling that perhaps my techniques may be inferior, and then through understanding some their techniques upping my game.

jfigz, to each their own man, I respect whatever each person gets a kick out of catching a trout on.

But, as Mike said, my passion/goal in trout fishing is to catch huge browns around these parts. It doesn’t make a lick of difference to me when I bank a 29 incher what’s hanging out of his mouth lol.

Good fishing to all you guys this is great discussion.

The only time I have ever heard of these guys was in the Joe Armstrong book and there he referenced them a lot. I put almost zero stock in that book if that means anything. I will say this, of course we can learn a lot about fly fishing or fish behavior in general from any kind of fishing and any kind of fish related experiences. Sure, fishing with hard baits, stick baits, soft plastics and all other types can help you fish streamers just as fishing with bait can help you with nymphs. It is all so similar.

Quote:

Brown71 wrote:

I could post some really interesting stories about how I figured how much more bait works for big browns than flies, but those are other stories for other days, I don't have the time to type it all out right now LOL.

And of course bait works wonderfully at catching fish and big fish to boot. Bait is REAL and has FLAVOR and SCENT. This is the exact reason I quit using bait when I was about 10 and have never touched it since unless I'm taking a kid fishing. The very effectiveness of it is what makes me not want to use it. Of course trout will like a big juicy nightcrawler but I know I'll feel more elation when I get them to eat some opossum fur wrapped with some thread.

To each their own, but I'm with you. I like a challenge and even when I go bowling I don't put the bumpers down.
Nothing gets me going more than fly fishing.

As far as Nale, again to each their own, but I know from experience and others that his numbers caught on treble hooks can severely impact a wild trout fishery.
Then his own becomes my own and I have no love for the guy.
Carry on.

Mike,

I agree with you 100%. People should do whatever makes them happy. The only thing that ruffles my feathers is when people don't follow regs, litter, or are just generally inconsiderate to others, especially children. I've got nothing against people using bait, lures, or whatever else as long as it is legal. Heck, I even bought line to replace all of my dry rotted line on my bass rods so maybe I'll be pitching jigheads and Texas rigs again this season for a bit.

I'm too lazy to keep that detailed of records like the Nale brothers. I'm quite content keeping nothing but memories and knowledge I've gained over the years.

My number one "beef" with bait, personally, is that I don't like having to worry about catching bait, buying bait, is the bait I bought/caught still alive? Artificial lures/flies are always there and ready to go and I've always found that to far outweigh any positives to bait. Bait catches fish and lots of them, no doubt about it.

jifigz wrote:
My number one "beef" with bait, personally, is that I don't like having to worry about catching bait, buying bait, is the bait I bought/caught still alive? Artificial lures/flies are always there and ready to go and I've always found that to far outweigh any positives to bait. Bait catches fish and lots of them, no doubt about it.

I fished bait way back when I kept fish. When I became a C&R fisherman I gave up fishing bait because deep hooking a certain amount fish is inevitable.

Fishing lures was fun, I caught a lot of fish, but it got a little boring. It's not just about reeling in a bunch of fish, at least for me.

I really got into the fly fishing > fly tying > match-the-hatch challenge for trout. Rather than measuring my success by catching a bunch of fish, I found that identifying insects, tying a fly to match the flies hatching, and catching trout on my fly to be the ultimate challenge and pursuit.

Later I discovered fly-fishing and fly tying is a great challenge for all fish, both fresh and saltwater.

So here I am.....not bored at all. In fact, the more I delve into all the aspects of fly-fishing, the more I realise how much there is out there for me to learn.

Brown71 wrote:

...this is great discussion.

It's very boring.

And spin and bait fishing is simply off topic on a fly fishing website.

There are other websites where spin fishing is discussed.

Back in 1977 I met a guy in a bar in Vermont who claimed that he was the best trout fisherman in the world. He wore a vest that had River Rapist on it. I bought him a beer and he agreed to show me how he caught loads of trout. I picked the guy up at the bar and we went to a local stream where he took his Zebco reel and casting rod out and tied a spinner on it. Before I could get my boots on he was off rock hopping casting the spinner UPSTREAM and cranking it back as fast as he could. I caught up to him as he whipped a nice brown on to the bank. He asked me if I had a stringer and I said" No". "Grab a vine and string these up" , he said I watched as he would rip the spinner back after a long cast and about every 3rd cast or so he had a trout on. I watch as he has fish blow up on that spinner as he rips it back as fast as he can reel. He missed a bunch that were short strikes. We covered about a mile of creek and I'm carrying 8 nice fish and he says "that's it that's the limit,back to the bar". He tells me over a few beer that he can do that every day and had caught over a hundred fish so far that season. The technique worked anywhere he used it. My next outing I tried it and it worked. Believe me it works. Just ask Moose as he can attest to the fact. I just wonder where or how they learned or figured it out? GG

troutbert wrote:
Brown71 wrote:

It's very boring.

Variety is the spice of life? Bah humbug? GG

I am very skeptical of the catch rates that Frank N. reports. However there are two things:

1) If you look at his breakdowns, a very small percentage of the trout he catches are large. Suggesting that he beats up on tiny wild trout. A fishing strategy that is not foreign to the members of this forum. In the end, he catches a lot of big trout, but it seems like he grinds through a LOT of hours and a LOT of small fish to do it.

2) Akin to the moon landing conspiracy theories, it may actually be more work to fake the stats and reports that he posts than to actually just go and catch that many fish.

I don't want to draw unwilling participants into this discussion so i will withhold names, but there are well know fly anglers in this state who pull off some really incredible feats, particularity when it comes to ability to frequently catch exceptionally large trout. To listen to them discuss their fishing, you would never believe them, yet their phones are filled with nothing but pictures of them holding 20"+ trout. If they broadcast their success the way Frank Nale does, they would probably receive just as much criticism and skepticism.

I don't know either Nale, but have read a number of posts/articles about or by both of them.

I believe that Frank made his living as an accountant or something similar. Number crunching is probably in his blood. :)

jifigz wrote:

That's one of the reasons I moved from bait!

I try to give people the benefit of the doubt when reading message board posts.

I look at Frank Nale's numbers as unofficial population surveys. ;-)

To each their own.

afishinado wrote:
jifigz wrote:

I fished bait way back when I kept fish. When I became a C&R fisherman I gave up fishing bait because deep hooking a certain amount fish is inevitable.

Fishing lures was fun, I caught a lot of fish, but it got a little boring. It's not just about reeling in a bunch of fish, at least for me.

I really got into the fly fishing > fly tying > match-the-hatch challenge for trout. Rather than measuring my success by catching a bunch of fish, I found that identifying insects, tying a fly to match the flies hatching, and catching trout on my fly to be the ultimate challenge and pursuit.

Later I discovered fly-fishing and fly tying is a great challenge for all fish, both fresh and saltwater.

So here I am.....not bored at all. In fact, the more I delve into all the aspects of fly-fishing, the more I realise how much there is out there for me to learn.

Well yeah AFISH, everything is just more fun. There is more to learn. In fact, a lot to learn. I'm young, only 31, but I'll put myself up against the Nale brothers any day. I'm not being arrogant. I just know that I have learned a lot about catching fish and many types of them and have studied it almost fanatically ever since I was a kid. It is something I'm good at. And I love sharing my knowledge with others and hopefully they find joy in the hobby.

That said, I'd still like to see those Nale brothers outfish me by a mile ????

jifigz wrote:
afishinado wrote:
jifigz wrote:

Well yeah AFISH, everything is just more fun. There is more to learn. In fact, a lot to learn. I'm young, only 31, but I'll put myself up against the Nale brothers any day. I'm not being arrogant. I just know that I have learned a lot about catching fish and many types of them and have studied it almost fanatically ever since I was a kid. It is something I'm good at. And I love sharing my knowledge with others and hopefully they find joy in the hobby.

That said, I'd still like to see those Nale brothers outfish me by a mile ????

I can tell you, that you may evolve or go in a different direction in your fishing....or not.

Like I posted earlier...."not that there's anything wrong with that!" :lol:

Lotsa fish, big fish, spin fish, fly-fish.....the bottom line should always include both enjoyment as well as conservation.

troutbert wrote:
Brown71 wrote:

It's very boring.

I would agree if the thread was about mepps vs panther martins and rooster tails, but it's not. It's about contrasting spin fishing vs fly fishing, logging and counting fish, catching 100's of thousands of fish, etc.

Enjoyment and conservation are all that matter. This thread is almost pointless. And I'm going to start keeping a river smallmouth bass journal....now how do I keep it dry when I fall in while wading? Hmmmmm

And honestly.......a casting jigging spoon will outfish an inline spinner. Just my opinion though.

Back