The Mother of All Fly Catalogs

fadeaway263 wrote:
albatross wrote:
Jason,

Do you frequent TheFlySHOP as Fade referenced or TheFlySTOP. TheFlySTOP doen't have a catalog
Alb..I also shop the Fly Stop but have found the flies to unravel after an hour of fishing. Anyone else have that experience?

I should have qualified my post and restricted it to woolybuggers. They are the flies that unravel. The other flies are fine. Maybe it was just a bad batch.

Funny thing is I have never bought from them and I get one every year. I never even asked for one!...;) However, it is nice to use as a gauge for what's out there...

TimMurphy wrote:
jdaddy wrote:
troutbert wrote:

Flyfishers Paradise recently came out with their new catalog.

Are there any other PA fly shops that have catalogs?

I can't see a lot of folks shift to catalogs in this digital age.

Dear jdaddy,

And I can't see myself buying anything of significance from someone who doesn't have a catalog and a brick and mortar shop.

"Different strokes, for different folks, and so on and so and scooby dooby dooby."

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

FFP says they are not putting out a catalog. What other B&M stores that you visit have a catalog? Cabelas? Bass Pro?

I cannot believe the catalogs that Cabelas just sent out for their 50th. who prints a hard bound catalog?

If you get the feather-craft catalog, look closely and you will find the Chain Gang Stone in there for sale. :)

I have mixed feelings about the Fly Shop. To rrt's point, they do expend a lot of pages ballyhooing private water excursions and I don't care for that. My thinking on this is relatively simple. Every fishing experience that is commoditized and where access becomes primarily dependent upon means is one more nail in the coffin of the sport, long term, because it eventually narrows the stakeholder/user base.

At the same time, over the years,I have done low volume, incidental business with the Fly Shop (couple spools of tippet and a few jars of head cement here and some estaz and a few spools of Uni-Wire there) and have found them to be among the most responsive and pleasant folks I've ever dealt with online or through a catalog. Prices are OK too.

So, here's what I do with my Fly Shop catalog each year: Most of the private water stuff is in the very front or the last couple dozen pages. I just rip that out, toss it and keep the rest of the catalog.

Then I can say: "The Fly Shop pushes private water? Who knew...?"

It's a western shop and leans toward a high end clientele,imo.

Hmnnn, if i were to point to the mother of all fly catalogs would that be past or present?I whave copies of Bob Marriots Flyfishing Store catalog ,and to my recollection that was the biggest catalog around about the size of a cabela's spring catalog{not the fly catalog either.
I have to give credit to where credit is due,Flyshop bailed me out when i first bought my first vice by sending me a catalog then ,i had been using someone elses vice and materials to tie and also an extra outfit of theirs to fish to learn in the beginning.I had made an order to a place in Pennsylvania that i didn't know was going under i sent a check and almost everything except my vice was back ordered this happened in November, i got the Flyshop Catalog in the mail about january.
By that time i recieved a lt dun metz #1 and some tinsel and dubbing,nothing else had come was still backordered.So i called the Flyshop and asked them about their products .At that time no one here in Pa carried Hoffman necks or saddles i was told Metz were the best,Flyshop sent me several colors { Brown,Grizzly,Barred Ginger} without taking any money i didn't place an order,they just asked for my id number off the catalog and sent it.Told me to try these and in a week after i get them call em back.Well brother i like Metz but Hoffman blew Metz away by a mile at that moment .
So got on the phone asked for a refund which never came i had to literally show up at that store in Williamsport around end of may and demand a cash refund,and yes i would sue if i had to .Im a blue collar hump i work hard for my money long hours and such and at the time i didnt make what im making now so money was even a bigger deal.Also a man's word is his honor and when you are in business treating a customer right is the golden rule.This wasn't a matter of under a 50 dollar bill order, i had sent 600.00 clams.Believe it or not i was refunded in full in person.So i spent half at the Flyshop and the rest at AA outfitters in White Haven.
I work in the printing business and i know what it takes to make catalogs,journals, technical manuals.I run a Binder and also Saddle stitcher.It costs a lot to put out a 4 color catalog or to print in color.In printing there are four colors ..paper is white,then theres process red {magenta} process yellow,and process blue{cyan].I appreciate if someone is willing to put out a catalog because you can order what you want from the web but catalogs are kind of so much more. More to come

FFP says they are not putting out a catalog.

Flyfishers Paradise's 2011 catalog is out and available now. I just called there and talked to Steve, the owner, and he confirmed that.

Now a days there are quite a few Flyshops that have great items offered and catalogs and websites.
Here In the Lehigh Valley there are no flyshops anymore.In the Poconos ,IMHO the Best 3 shops were Silver Springs Outfitters in Kunkletown{Brian Tartar},AA Outfitters White Haven { Bob Sentiwany},Evening Hatch {Ken Shiffert,Tony},And yes in Stroudsburg thers Windsor flyshop,and Dunklebergers.Silver Springs is gone Brian retired,and now i would Rate Evening Hatch As the best in the Poconos{be it the western Poconos}.
In North Central Pa i can only comment on one that i used to buy a hellish amount an that was Fred Reese's Trout Shop in Jersey Shore also when Bob Pearson took over and the Shop was in Avis for a lil while.Fred Did his own Materials was spot on for ccolors when wet be it dubbing or feathers.I miss this shop. I have never been to Kettle Creek Fly Shop,Or Slate Run,or Hille's I can't comment on any of them till i do however I would like to check out Great Meadows Flyshop if Sandfly doesn't throw in the towel ,seems like a great guy here in the forum.
In Central Pa IMHO Flyfishers Paradise is my first choice,TCO is ok,never been in the Feathered hook in Coburn but next trip to Penn's if hes open ill stop in.
In South Central Pa the shop i used to go to is done that was Cold Spring Anglers in Carlisle, had a good catalog and the shop was good too.Never been to the Yellow Breeches, will stop there if i get over that way.Bob Clousers in Middletown is a great shop too i don't know if hes still open or just online but that shop was a tyers dream,i have been there several times.Hook prices were great and also had many materials.
Abroad i'd say the following are Shops can be trusted, i have ordered from their catalogs : Flyshop{Redding,Ca},Bob Marriot's{Fullerton,Ca},Leland Flyfishing Outfitters {SanFrancisco,Ca},Redshed { for all things Spey,Peck ,Idaho}Blue Ribbon Flies {West Yellowstone ,Montana}Trout Hunter{formerly House Of Harrop,Henry's Fork Of the Snake River,Last Chance, Idaho}Madison River Flyfishing Company {Ennis,Montana}

Lonewolve wrote:
,And yes in Stroudsburg thers Windsor flyshop,and Dunklebergers.

Last time I saw Dunkelbergers over the summer it was looking grim in the fly fishing department.

Charlie'sFlyBox {Arvada,Colorado,Charlie Cravens place},Blue Quill Angler{Pat Dorsey's Place, Evergreen Colorado}Feather-Craft {St Louis Mo}Great Feathers {Sparks,Maryland}Bearsden{Taunton,Massachusetts}Eldridge Bros.(Cape Neddick,Maine}Maine Guide Flyshop {Greenville ,Maine}Kineo Flies{Greenville Junction,Maine}LLBean{Freeport,Maine}
And on the Salmon River In New York, Hnads down ..................
Malinda's {formerly The Altmar Smokehouse Altmar,NewYork}Whitaker's {Pulaski,New York},Fat Nancy's {Pulaski,New York}.
all these store i have done business with and have nothing but great experiences with them.and some even have catalogs too.
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace

Gfen, I know what you mean, thats why its a great lil sporting good store overall ,but flyshop it aint.
hey when do you want to meet up and fish Gfen?try out that cortland book 10'4wt i got,i think you might like it.
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace

troutbert wrote:

Flyfishers Paradise's 2011 catalog is out and available now. I just called there and talked to Steve, the owner, and he confirmed that.

Call and confirm that 2011 is the last year they are printing and mailing the catalog.

jdaddy wrote:
troutbert wrote:

Call and confirm that 2011 is the last year they are printing and mailing the catalog.

He said that they hope to have internet ordering in place soon. And that might affect whether or not they do future print catalogs. But he said that's not decided yet and he is leaning towards still producing a print catalog in 2012.

I have bought many flies from the Fly Stop.com and find their quality to be good for the money.I fish a lot for Salmon and Trout on the tribs in NY,Penna and Ohio and use their flys for those fish.The only time I had a problem it was with their hooks breaking while fishing wooly buggers for Salmon,tried several flys and kept losing fish to failed hooks.I e mailed them and the owner contacted me and we discussed the problem,must have been a bad batch of hooks he said.Then we ran down the order that I placed to buy those hooks and within a week they were replaced with new flies...no arguement!
I'll continue to buy from people like that.

Back