Tenkara, now everybody will want one

This is my first post at paflyfish...after reading through this thread I have something to add so I went ahead and registered.

There is something that I think shouldn't be overlooked about tenkara. You can keep a tenkara rod with you ready to go as a second rod to use when conditions warrant it. I do most of my fishing on the Upper Delaware and tribs with a 5 or 6 wt fly rod but I started keeping a 13'6" tenkara rod fully rigged up for nymphing in my vest or jacket pocket last year. It sticks out a little but doesn't get in the way. It is a deadly high sticking rod because of the reach. I've been playing around with "euro" nymphing set ups on it and have caught a lot of fish that way. You can guide the flies into the seams or pockets with all that reach.

I do agree that the whole "zen" marketing thing is a little much and the idea of using one fly... Well let's just say that's not for me. I never really used any of the Japanese style flies. I don't especially like not having a reel on it either, but I will say that I've only really lost one good fish because of it. It was a football main stem rainbow last year that ran into a deep pool under a riff where I couldn't follow. I would have had him too but I was wading mid-river and couldn't follow where he went and he broke me off.

There are advantages and limits to tenkara rods but at the end of the day I use one as my "go to" nymphing rod. It's nice to be ready with 2 rods without feeling like your carrying 2 rods. It also can't be beat for changing locations if you have the little fuji keepers on it.

So salmoinoid after nearly a year....how many times have you found the "want" to Tenkara?

After 2 yrs now with a couple of Tenkara rods, I've come to similar thoughts as WildBrown has. Deadly with Nymphing, as for dry flies, it's not much of an advantage or disadvantage on small to medium water, but on big water, a western rod is the clear advantage. I don't get the whole one fly thing either.

Hey Smike, I know you've taken a lot of gruff in this thread. I just want to say "thank you" for your consistent and honest answering.

Folks like me who have no idea one way or another (and are just interested in the possibility of adding another skill to our arsenal) appreciate your feedback and honest opinion of the works, even under fire.

It's just fishing. A few new bells and whistles (or rather, a few less), but it's just another fly in the pack to a lifelong fly fisherman. Today is not my day to worry about expanding, but it might be someone else's

Thanks, but it wouldn't even be half as fun without all the mud flinging around these parts. Now you being from Harrisburg and all, no question I would pick one up to nymph those limestoners out there. I have had my best days doing just that on those streams. Heading out again in about a month.

Like you said, just another tool in the arsenal, just it's getting used and more for the reasons above. I used to only nymph fish when I had to, now Tenkara makes Nymphing almost as fun as hitting dry flies.

coming next year - orvis horsehair lines....$100 a pop...

For the benefit of those yet to check out a Tenkara rod in person.

Flex of the tip section.

8682438612_8c8b0a35cc.jpg

Diameter of the tip fits in the space of 1/16th with room to spare.

8682438438_eaac38d842_z.jpg

Tenkada is lame. It's for the azns. Let them have it. Will never take hold in this country. Like it has there for thousands of years. If you ask me it's the stupidest form of fly fishing . I would rather tie a piece of tippet to a cane pole. Cane poles are cheap/free. Tenkada rods are like what... Expensive for a novelty rod. Just my .02$. Take it or leave it.

Learn to use a 10' western rod properly.

I don't think it's something I'll get into or even try, but I've learned to never say never. If you like to fish that way more power to ya, another method to enjoy time on the water if you ask me.

Phish_On wrote:
Tenkada is lame. It's for the azns. Let them have it. Will never take hold in this country. Like it has there for thousands of years. If you ask me it's the stupidest form of fly fishing . I would rather tie a piece of tippet to a cane pole. Cane poles are cheap/free. Tenkada rods are like what... Expensive for a novelty rod. Just my .02$. Take it or leave it.
Have you ever tried it? If not then your opinion means nothing. I think I'll leave it!

Phish_On

That was a pretty ignorant post in my opinion, hope you were joking. I think some people need to get out fishing and spend less time posting about a fishing method. To each his own.

Back