Team USA northeast regional qualifier

P

pennsadventures

I got a phone call last night from a coach on this team and he asked me to help out judging the competition in march on penns creek. First off I never even considered myself to be even remotely good enough to get involved in this. What all is involved with this team? I have never though much about it because I though it was way out of my league. Whats everyone thoughts on getting involved with them. I have tought numbers of people to flyfish and always will. Just worried that the kids I will be with know more about it than I do.

Can't help you in answering your question but I was wondering if you knew where and when on Penn's?

its march 10th and 11th in coburn

Thanks. That could be interesting water conditions. They had the adult competition there a few October's back.

Having been heavily involved with the team as an instructor and also with the organization it isn't something that you should feel uncomfortable about. If you would be involved as a controller or a sector judge you would be guided by the fips-mousche rules. All you would be doing is ensuring all of the rules are followed. It isn't difficult at all. It would be good experience.

Dave R.

I volunteered last year and am again this year. I will be on the Spring Creek Section in Benner Springs. All you have to do is like Dave said. Make sure the rules are being followed which is not hard it's not like there are a bunch of crazy rules. And you also will be measuring each fish caught by the competitor and ensuring it is not foul hooked and barbless hook. It is a good time. At the very least it is nice to watch these guys fish. Most are VERY good fisherman and its amazing the fish they catch and you would be surprised at some of the really general and/or colorful patterns they use. Most of the guys are really nice too and are very appreciative of you volunteering and some of them will give you a few flies to try or some leaders or other trinkets.

Hey td55 I'm in the Brenner section too. I'll se ya there

Thanks guys...I am excited to see these kids fish....It seems on the trips i make to spring every year i always run into them.

I feel bad, I asked questions and you answered them but I never said congrats that you were asked. Congrats!

Let us know how hard it was to watch them catch fish and you weren;t able to fish. :-D

I jumped at the chance to be a controler because I wanna learn and you do that buy being around good fisherman. Thats what your doin at the the competion.

Hey Guys and Gals. The Ne Regional qualifier is a great event that is one of many held in the US. There is a great group of anglers there and its allot of fun. Helping out as a controller is a great way to learn new techniques and meet new people. Its very easy do. There is actually a controller training video on the America Cup Fly fishing web site. If anyone has any questions please feel free to pm me and if your interested in coming out as a controller I can put you in touch with the person running the event. The venues will be Penns at Coburn, Big fishing creek at the narrows and Spring creek at Benner.
Thanks Sean crocker

I was invited as a judge at the Coburn section. I am really excited about it. From what I understand, it is not the youth team, but Team USA northeast regional qualifier. This will be new for me but really can't wait to see the guys fish and hopefully meet some new fisherman. I hope the weather and water level cooperates for them.

I will be a controller on Big Fishing Creek.

Looking forward to competing in this one. It is really nice to see some guys really looking forward to helping out.

I would like to thank all who helped out with the Ne Regional. A special thanks to Jimmy for following me around in the water on Penns creek during my FROZEN morning session. You guys were great and we couldnt do this stuff without you.
Thanks again
Sean Crocker

I will let jimmy know you what ya said....it was great to meet you guys....had a ton of fun and learned alot off of you guys.....by the way sean was it you that gave him that stone fly??????? One of the best ties I have ever seen

That was me. I fished beat 1 on sunday morning. It was a decent beat and the fish were really spread out. I was pleased to hear I had the highest total for that beat with 14 fish scored despite the fridged conditions. Jimmy was a huge help. He stayed in the water behind me the entire 3 hours waist deep in that freezing water. Cool guy to boot. I owe you guys a beer!! LOL
BTW that stone fly is a killer on penns.

I had a great time controling this past weekend. My beat was upper 8 on Spring Creek. I had Lance Egan in the sat. morning he caught 22. And then Had Josh Graffam in the afternoon he caught 22 also. They were 2 class acts & were very helpful pon explaining there tactics and flys. It was really a n experience watching 2 of the best on team USA pick apart the water.

Sean He took that fly home and tied up a bunch for himself...If there is any advice I can give you guys for next year don't be afraid to bring some HUGE stoneflies with you. Size 8 or even 6. Jimmy and I fished together all day tuesday. We were on benner in the upper sections where the beats were. I can finally say that I had a 50 fish day in an afternoon. We were even fishing behind the pennstate flyfishing club. I am pretty sure we offered you a beer and declined!!!!!!!

Back