susquehanna most endangered river 2011

R

reds

http://www.prweb.com/releases/endangeredrivers/2011/prweb8438974.htm

2011 most endangered river list.

"Those who cannot remember the past, are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

Well, I hear that natural gas is a clean source of energy.. Its not so much exploiting as pumping it deep underground so the earth jsut farts out puppies and butterflies, innit?

I generally like the work that AR does but this top 10 list thing is silly. Last year the #1 most endangered river in the US was the Delaware yet it is no longer on the list. I assume all threats are taken care of there?

jdaddy wrote:
I generally like the work that AR does but this top 10 list thing is silly. Last year the #1 most endangered river in the US was the Delaware yet it is no longer on the list. I assume all threats are taken care of there?

I think every river on the list is new and was not on last years list.

Not a real surprise to me. If anybody, spends any amount of time on the river or has since the late 80's into early 1990's can clearly see the changes.

Bass fishing peaked and then went really bad, really fell off the chart bad. The little fish are just not there anymore. You could go out at night in the summer with lights and see hundreds and thousands of fish in the lights into the water, we did this alot while trying to shoot carp with the bow and arrows. You would see rock bass, smallmouth, carp, sucker, fall fish, catfish, minnows by the thousands, - every island or weed patch had carp and small fry fish around -

Today you make the same float over the same water and it is almost void of fish. You still spot a few carp now and then, but gone are the rock bass, schools of minnows, fall fish. It is sad.

It is hard to say what is totally wrong, but something has been up with the river quality the past 5+ years that I hope will get figured out and solved so my family can enjoy the adventures on the river I had as a kid and young man.

volcanomil wrote:
Not a real surprise to me. If anybody, spends any amount of time on the river or has since the late 80's into early 1990's can clearly see the changes.

Bass fishing peaked and then went really bad, really fell off the chart bad. The little fish are just not there anymore. You could go out at night in the summer with lights and see hundreds and thousands of fish in the lights into the water, we did this alot while trying to shoot carp with the bow and arrows. You would see rock bass, smallmouth, carp, sucker, fall fish, catfish, minnows by the thousands, - every island or weed patch had carp and small fry fish around -

Today you make the same float over the same water and it is almost void of fish. You still spot a few carp now and then, but gone are the rock bass, schools of minnows, fall fish. It is sad.

It is hard to say what is totally wrong, but something has been up with the river quality the past 5+ years that I hope will get figured out and solved so my family can enjoy the adventures on the river I had as a kid and young man.

I agree with this 100% but that major issue that could be studied and worked on quite diligently is not the problem they are citing for the Susquehanna, rather they are focusing on headwaters issues of the watershed and MS drilling. I'd really like to see them focus on the lower stretches where a positive impact could be made. I don't feel that MS drilling is the biggest threat to the Susquehanna.

MS drilling will be when 1,000,000 gallons of Frack fluid from up here in BradCo makes it down past Sunbury. It hasn't happened... yet. But seeing firsthand on some of the drilling practices up here... it will.

The Blowout in LeRoy Twp was what they couldn't cover up in the media. Too many people were around that Chessie couldn't disavow that it happened. We have had other blowouts from drilling areas located in SGL's or more remote areas that the newspaper and TV crews have not touched upon.

Here are locations of spills in BradCo and Sullivan Co's: Shunk, PA with a spills going into the headwaters of the Schrader Creek

Hollenback, PA where a spill ended up in Panther Lick Creek/Sugar Run

Silvara, PA where a spill ended up in Tuscarora Creek.

MS drilling and all the activities surounding it stand to have a major impact on the Susquehanna River, beginning in the headwaters. That SHOULD BE a major concern. I think AR is using their annual list to highlight the key watersheds that could be greatly impacted by the latest "Superfund" industry to leave its legacy of pollution problems for PA residents to deal with.

It doesn't help that we have a secretive governor now that sadly I've really come to believe is on the take and any integrity he may have had has been bribed away by the natural gas industry.

jjsjigs wrote:
MS drilling will be when 1,000,000 gallons of Frack fluid from up here in BradCo makes it down past Sunbury. It hasn't happened... yet. But seeing firsthand on some of the drilling practices up here... it will.

The Blowout in LeRoy Twp was what they couldn't cover up in the media. Too many people were around that Chessie couldn't disavow that it happened. We have had other blowouts from drilling areas located in SGL's or more remote areas that the newspaper and TV crews have not touched upon.

Here are locations of spills in BradCo and Sullivan Co's: Shunk, PA with a spills going into the headwaters of the Schrader Creek

Hollenback, PA where a spill ended up in Panther Lick Creek/Sugar Run

Silvara, PA where a spill ended up in Tuscarora Creek.

If you know about double super triple top secret spills what are you doing about them? Trust me dude the media would love to hear about them.

Agree with jdaddy here. Yes, MS drilling is a concern for the Susquehanna. But the Susquehanna has a lot of problems NOW, and they are not MS related.

I wouldn't even use the term endangered right now. I'd use the term damaged. Past tense, needing repair rather than protection.

Back