summer fun

thebassman

thebassman

I was a little bummed today that I could not make it out to chase some trout. The closest stream from where I live is an hour away which makes it just a little to far to go all the time.

I did not know what I was going to do today, and then it hit me...warm water fly fish!! I have been so caught up on chasing trout that I forgot all about going out to the local streams and chasing some bass and bluegills...

I wanted to try a few new flies on these fish that I have and never use. The first fly was a huge elk hair caddis. I do not know how, or why I had one so big, but I did. I threw this pattern for awhile and had pretty good success with it for the first hour or so. All day I was seeing fish and noticed that they were sucking something up off the bottom. I switched from my caddis dry fly to a small (size 16) rubber legged nymph that I picked up for trout. I had no clue that they would gobble this up the way they did. I started to sight fish, and cast to a few small bass, and boy did they want it. I hooked two small largemouth, and a small smallmouth (even though it was the biggest of the day). They both put up a great fight. It just feels so good when you have something on the end of the line tugging back at you. I ended up catching some sunnies with this little pattern as well. I tried a few other flies but nothing wanted what I had. By the end of the day I had tied on the nymph again and pulled in a few more small fish. I was happy to see the number of juvenile smallmouth in the stream was so high. I just pray that they can stay there long enough to grow up. This was a good break from work and was very relaxing. I used my new Fishpond Waterdance pack today and am going to do a review on it after I use it just a little more. So far I am loving it.

IMG_8893.jpg

IMG_8901.jpg

IMG_8897.jpg

I have more pictures up at my blog I just started (www.averageoutdoors.com)

sounds like a great day! I've been in the same situation, good trout water a ways away and lots of good WW fishing to be done 15 min will have me catching smallies and sunnies!

Back