streamer material

flipnfly

flipnfly

so i was just sitting here tying and used glo bug yarn and polar fibre to make a clouser type fly heres the question how is that yarn going to act in the water? anyone ever try this?

Use the tub......more room to swim around. I've seen clousers tied with all kinds of different materials and have experimented myself , it should work just fine flip , if you gotta be sure take Toms advice and fill er up.

I have tied streamers with craft fur for years - works great with lots of movement when worked slowly and has a real translucent look. The Polar Fiber is a better grade of craft fur and when I run out of craft fur I have been replacing it with Polar Fiber. A real subtle Clouser for clear shallow water can use sparse gray or olive craft fur over white or something off white with a bead chain eye rather than a lead eye for a lighter tie.

I am also a jig tier, and jig theory is to use softer material for working slowly and to sink faster and stiffer material for fast retrieves and sinking slower. Marabou is on the soft end with craft fur and Arctic fox pretty close. On the stiff end is squirrel tail and buck tail is towards the stiff end. One advantage Arctic fox fur and craft fur has IMHO is that it holds up a whole lot better. Same theory works well with streamers (jig and streamer tiers can learn a lot from each other).

Haven't used egg yarn for a streamer wing, but it makes a great bright colored body - especially an orange or chartreuse/Oregon cheese body. Really like the gaudy Cardinelle streamer with an orange egg yarn body.

the particular colors i used were chartruse over flame red over white over flo orange it was meant for a bass pattern but as i found in the water the egg yarn just separates and doesnt flow freely enough to blend together to my liking anyways im still going to try it out someday if it works well ill tie more

Back