Strangest Catch

troutbert wrote:
I once caught a trout that was YELLOW!!!

:-o

Haha...That hit the right spot for me.

After the 2011 floods I fished a small wild Brown stream that had a small co-op hatchery on it. The stream swamped the hatchery and most of the inmates escaped into the stream. It was mostly normal Bows and Brookies, but a fair number of Bananas were mixed in too. Caught a good number of them over the course of that Fall. They were mostly 6-7" at the time. It was odd to see them at that size as they're generally stocked as very large fish.

When I was a little kid my grandfather took me fishing on the VERY lower yough near McKeesport. There was some other people there fishing and a kids pole got pulled into the river by a big carp. About an hour later the kids dad was able to snag the rod off the bottom and reeled it with the carp still attached.

On the subject of large Snapping Turtles, I used to see them in a Berkshire lake with shells the size of trashcans. We'd throw them apples to snap at.

I caught a 26" walleye one time fishing for musky with an 8" swimbait. Not necessarily a strange catch for where I was, but surprising and exciting for sure.
Even more surprising was one time on the little j around this time of year 2 years ago. Muddy water (not that high though, like 300), and I was throwing a big articulated streamerin the vicinity of where 3 big springs come in. Rolled a big Brown around 18-19" (saw the brown in the clear water where a big spring comes in), and caught a couple, biggest around 17". I then hooked what felt like a huge brown directly below where 3 large springs come in in the main current of the river and it turned out to be a smallmouth that was 17"+. Definitely an odd catch for me in that river, has anybody else caught any big smallies out of the lj? Just curious, maybe there's more in there than I think...

Back